Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is this dumb or smart...buying "the club"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:08 PM
robyn

With all the posts regarding auto theft in France I was wondering if you think it might be wise to purchase "the club" for use over there. It is not a huge investment and the peace of mind would be worth it for me.<BR>What do you think?

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:13 PM
HRH SBP

why would you carry a ten pound weight with you on vacation?<BR><BR>this is what CDW is for...

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Art

Robyn I rented a car in Berlin last year to return in Frankfurt and because I wsa driving through eastern Europe, I asked Avis (through Autoeurope) if they had any. They gave me one to use at no charge.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:54 PM
robyn

Thanks Art but already asked my rental company and they cannot supply same.<BR>To His Royal Highness- I would carry a ten pound weight in order to avoid thousands of dollars in theft or having all my baggage stolen...duh.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 02:07 AM
hello?

Duh? To whom? How does the club keep your bags from being stolen? Doesn't it fit on the steering wheel? Aren't your bags in the trunk? Can't your bags be removed one at a time? And if it's total theft you're worried about, that IS what CDW is for...

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:23 AM
insured

It's Her Royal Highness in this case.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Christina

I assumed robyn was going to buy one in France and then leave it, figuring the slight cost was worth it -- that made more sense to me than carrying it over there. Even if bags are in the trunk, a club will prevent them being stolen along with the car, that's the idea, to stop the car from being stolen (and what's in it), don't you think. I was just in Central Europe and noticed a lot of cars with clubs and they had a slightly nicer version than the piddly one I use at home, so I was considering buying one as a souvenir. But I didn't as I lug around enough stuff as it is and prefer to lug porcelain and crystal back. I wouldn't bother using the club if I had the CDW but it would save you time and trouble if it were stolen, that can be a hassle. I don't think this is so dumb, CDW could never make having your luggage (with the car) stolen trivial and of no cost or trouble because it would take hours of time to replace the stuff, and time is money, as they say. Also, I have some favorite clothes and shoes and probably couldn't get the same thing again.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 10:46 AM
ron

CDW means Collision Damage Waiver. Could someone explain how that helps with theft of either a car or its contents.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Art

Robyn, they also told me that. But when I got there to pick up the car and asked they had one. Or as also suggested buy one there.<BR>