Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Check luggage half trip & carry on other half?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading lots of posts for and against carry on vs checking luggage. Here's my question - is it worth carrying on a 22" rollie for the half the flight if you will be required to check it for other half of flight. Better to just check it and be done with it?

I'll be flying UA to Italy and I'm pretty sure I can scale down enough to take my bag carry on. But the remaining 2 flights from Denver to Venice are Lufthansa and they have a minimal weight allowance. I'm guessing at that point I would have to check the bag.

I think I'm going to take the wheeled bag vs backpack style, so that will add a few pounds before packing.

What do ya think?

Old Feb 24th, 2007, 10:13 AM

I'm confused. Are you saying there is a weight allowance for a carry-on which you feel you cannot meet?
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 10:14 AM

I've done both. Once I was flying ATL-CDG-HEL and back. I took my 22" onboard from ATL with DL, then checked it at the gate with FinnAir. It was placed onboard and arrived with me just fine. I think if I were taking 2 more legs in Europe as it sounds you are, then I would just go ahead and check all the way through.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Dukey - I believe the weight limit for carry on with Lufthansa is 15# ish. If my suitcase weighs 7# to start with, that doesn't leave me much to work with.

Kay2 - Yes I'm going from northern Calif to Denver to Frankfurt to Venice.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 10:44 AM

tamtravels, we were on Lufthana to Frankfurt out of Denver last summer. During check in everyone ahead of us with a rolling bag was force to first put the bag in the sizing box where most bags failed between of the wheels. A couple smaller bags passed the box test but then failed for weight. When it came our turn I was sure that we would be forced to check because I knew that our carryon bags were overweight -- my was 22 and Marcia's 18. The checkin person asked to see the bags, held them up for a visual inspection, and he said "OK." Had a similar experience on the return leg. I think we escaped because our bags look small. For a variety of reasons we take the backpack style carryon for Europe but use wheeled bags in the US.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 12:33 PM

I don't see the chance of losing luggage lower if you wait until DEN before you check it. It can still miss getting on the LH flight.