Notices

Lufthansa - carry on

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 04:05 AM
linda

Lufthansa - carry on

I am following advice here on one checked piece of luggage (22") and plan on a backpack for my carry-on. I was going to bring a zipped tote bag in my luggage so if I bought too much "stuff" on my trip I can put it in there and carry on back home. Is this possible? I was not able to determine this at the airline website. Thanks

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 04:29 AM
elaine

linda
I haven't flown Lufthansa but I urge you to call them and find out what the current restrictions are on carry-on bags--the website might not have the most up-to-date info anyway.
British Air, for example, has weight restrictions on carry-on bags, not just size restrictions, and their weight restrictions are enforced and are not generous--13 pounds I think. Some backpacks and small suitcases weigh that much empty.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Paige

I fly Lufthansa within Europe frequently and it seems like the rules are different every time. Sometimes they let us each take a max-sized carry-on plus a small backpack, other times they're completely inflexible and force us to check the big ones. Just recently we were allowed to take carry-ons and small backpacks on the trip out, but on the return trip they didn't even flinch before telling us we had to check some of them, and it was the exact same luggage we had been able to carry on before. If the flight is really full and you check in late, they're a lot tougher about it. Also beware of the gate agents as they sometimes tell us we have to check our stuff as we're boarding.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:11 AM

topping

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Doug Weller

It may depend on the plane. Birmingham UK to Frankfurt we had much less baggage allowance on Lufthansa than on the Frankfurt-Boston leg.

Doug

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:34 PM
richardab

with my recent experience on lufthansa I found that they have a ZERO tolerance policy for carry on bags. one bag is the limit and you will not be able to sneak past them.

I believe they allow 2 pcs of checked baggage.

Call Lufthansa direct to find out what their policy is before you plan on anything.