Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa Airlines (Weight restriction on carry-on?)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good afternoon,

After browsing Lufthansa's web site, (which has no e-mail address for customer service), I see that they have a weight restriction of 8 kg for carry-on baggage. That equates to 17.6 pounds. My 22" bag weights 11.5 pounds empty. Do you suppose that's a typo and they mean 18 kg?

I looked on American Airlines web site and they have a similar exterior dimension restriction, but a 40 pound weight restriction (which calculates to roughly 18 kg).

Has anyone flown Lufthansa recently that can tell me whether it's 8 kg or 18 kg? or

Thanks,
Spartacus_33 >-
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 02:06 PM

I expect it's probably 8kg, but you should call to confirm. I have encountered other carriers whose restrictions for carry-on bags are in the vicinity of 10kg -- Air Canada and bmi, to name a couple of others we've flown recently. And I've found Lufthansa to be somewhat inconsistent in enforcing carry-on requirements. I once had a LH counter agent simply look at (no weighing or measuring) the 22" rollaboard -- which has been carried onto probably 100 or more domestic and international flights -- and say, "Sorry, that has to be checked."
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 02:48 PM
KT

It's 8 kg. Pretty typical for a European carrier. When I flew them last month, they didn't weigh my carry-on, but it was just a small backpack. I didn't notice whether they were weighing other people's bags.

BTW, I remembered that they have their contact information buried somewhere on the site, so I just looked. Click Information & Services, then Help & Contact, then Customer Relations, and there's a link. There may be easier ways, too, but that should work.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 05:12 PM

I use Lufthansa often when in Europe and last month for the first time while traveling with just 1 carry-on I was forced to check that piece due to excess weight. It weighed 13 kg. I found out Lufthansa has the following baggage weight restrictions:

To or from the USA you are allowed 1 carry-on weighing up to 8 kg. You are also allowed 2 checked bags weighing up to 70 kg. each.

Flights within Europe: you are allowed 1 carry-on weighing up to 8 kg and any number of checked bags but the total of all bags checked is limited to 20 kg. If you book your intra-Europe flight with your trans-Atlantic flight the more liberal trans-Atlantic limitations will apply also to your intra-Europe flights.

Hope that helps you.

Larry J
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

All,

Looks like the web site and you all are correct. Just confirmed with LH:
"No typo, 8kgs it is, length + width + height < or = 45 inches".

Thanks..........