Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you think 22" carry-ons will soon become obsolete?

Aug 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Now that airlines are charging for checked bags, are more people using their maximum carry-on allowance? If so, do you think the carry-on limit will soon be reduced?

Last week I finally found a new wheeled bag that I love; it measures exactly 22X14X9 including the wheels and handles, so it's perfect for now, but I would hate to buy something that may become useless soon.
Aug 16th, 2008, 06:42 PM
J62

no, I don't. Newer airplane cabins have overhead bins that fit 22" carryons straight in/wheels first. Compared to older planes (i.e. older AA 767's) they fit a lot more luggage.

Aug 16th, 2008, 07:27 PM

I doubt it.

Judging by the HUGE suitcases I see people pulling off the baggage carousel (as I walk though baggage claim with only my carry on), it's clear to me that there are plenty of people out there still intent on bringing everything but the kitchen sink with them when the travel.

Sorry, I'm feeling particularly snarky right now. ;-)

Also, I think there will always be people who just don't want carry their bag from plane to plane or bother trying to "pack light".

Finally, even if you are suddenly forced to check that size bag, due to weight rather than size restrictions for example, it would still be a good sized bag to have to be able to get around easily at your destination. I've had to check my bag on my last two trips and I still only packed my 22" bag.
Aug 16th, 2008, 07:47 PM

I have occasionally had to check a bag and still don't bring anything larger than the 22".

For carryon, I prefer something in the 20" to 21" range. I hate dragging a large bag.

I bought a new messenger cross body bag as my second carryon last year, and I find it is too big. I keep going smaller and smaller.

I really want a 20 inch rolling bag I saw that is less than 5 pounds. That's my dream bag, for right now.

I can't imagine buying a piece of luggage and wanting it to last forever. I am of the opinion that every trip requires something different in luggage. If it were up to me, we would all get to go to a luggage library and borrow just the right piece for each trip.

Aug 16th, 2008, 07:51 PM

tuscan - do you remember what brand? I went through all my luggage today and also went to Marshall and TJMax.
Aug 16th, 2008, 07:54 PM

I got a dandy 5" roll-on that fits neatly under the seat--bought it at ebags.com. It only weighs 8 lbs empty.
Aug 16th, 2008, 08:08 PM

Dawn: it was a fancy Canadian brand. I could find it, as I wrote to them because the one I wanted was only sold in a set. They told me how to get it but it was a pain: finding their local distributor, getting them to order the piece separately, etc.

Anyway, I am sure I can find the name if you would like it. That piece alone was about $170.00, which is why I still don't have it. The secondary name was Hybrid; I do remember that. Originally saw it on ebags.

Please remind me on my debkurt email if you want the name. I forget everything without a serious reminder. I would look now but I am in bed. A hug for you, anyway.

Underhill: 5 inches???
Aug 16th, 2008, 08:45 PM

"I am of the opinion that every trip requires something different in luggage."
Tuscan-I am right there with you! I feel like I buy a new bag almost every trip! Usually it's my smaller "personal" bag though that I keep buying (not 22" bags). Things have gotten much more complicated for me since I got my DSLR camera too.

I DO like your idea of a "luggage library"
Aug 16th, 2008, 08:48 PM

When I travel to Europe, I tend to pack a smaller wheeled carry-on suitcase...like around 19-inch, I think mine is. I also have several 22-inch ones. The European airlines are stricter than the airlines I fly with to S.E.Asia. I have never had a problem, in over a decade, with my 22-inch suitcase except if I'm flying through Japan to get to S.E. Asia. I get on the plane in L.A. with a 22-inch, then have to change planes in Japan, on the same airline, and then sometime they don't want to let my 22-inch be carried on board for the remainder of the flight.

I've seen agents here at LAX make passengers check in their 22-inch suitcases on European flights. This has been over the past decade. It's difficult for me to get what I really need in an 18-inch suitcase as I travel to Paris or Copenhagen in the spring when it's very cold and the clothes are heavier.
I always pack, in my carry-on suitcase, everything that I need in case the checked suitcase gets lost and I can right a book on lost luggage over the last three and a half decades. Once a suitcase went missing for two weeks.
A few years ago, three people came along with me on vacation to Paris and ALL of their luggage was lost and for 4 days. The vacation was for 7 days, but was cut down to 6 due to getting stuck in S.F. overnight because of fog. Their luggage didn't come until the end of the 4th day of the vacation. They had checked EVERYTHING in and had no carry-on luggage.
My luggage arrived at baggage claim, in Paris, just fine, but had it not, I would have had everything in the carry-on suitcase that I really needed for survival. It's good I had that carry-on suitcase as the airline put us up for a night and I had fresh clothes the next day. In S.F.,they wouldn't release the checked suitcase. They lock them up and then put them on the flight the next day.
My travel partners ended up in the same clothes and high-heeled boots for 5 days....counting the day they left home. Happy Travels!
Aug 16th, 2008, 08:50 PM

Tuscan - too pricey. sigh. I might just buy Rick Steve's ugly bag
Aug 16th, 2008, 08:55 PM

Kristina: of course a Fodorite would like my Luggage Library idea! Everyone else I mention it to has looked at me like I'm an alien or something.

Yet we get it, perfectly.
Aug 16th, 2008, 09:15 PM

tuscan, where do I apply for a borrower's card??

I am confronting that exact dilemma for next spring -- I DON'T want to check, because I'm sprinting off to another location as soon as I land in Athens, and bag delay is a nightmare.

This year I've seen too many people with 22" bags being forced to check them against their will, not because their bag is oversize, but because the flight is full. I saw a tip from a flight attendant that a soft (duffeL?) 22" roll-on is likelier to get on because of "bendability."

Howevr, I want to go a big smaller but prefer not to go down to 18 -- that 20" sounds perfect to me. Can I check it out for a month, please?
Aug 16th, 2008, 09:16 PM

I meant to say "a bit smaller", not a big smaller ... it's late.
Aug 16th, 2008, 09:25 PM

Absolutely -luggage library- WOW that is nothing short of BRILLIANT!

I've always said not everyone needs luggage. Or at least not every one in every size. My favorite 22" has been to several more countries than I have (borrowed by friends).

I also don't care about luggage lasting forever. I am fickle and change my mind about favorites.

To the original question, I always check my suitcase even if it could be carried on. I AM one of those people who *hates* dragging a suitcase on & off the plane & thru transfer airports and into the bathroom, restaurants, and shops with me (traveling solo).
Aug 17th, 2008, 02:16 AM

Suze I'm with you - why lug a bag around the airport when the airline will take care of it for you?
A 22" case is too big for some low-cost airlines in Europe. Transatlantic flights do not charge for checked bags.
If people checked their bags we could all get off the plane quicker - instead of waiting for them to pull monster carry ons from overheads, crashing them down on the poor soul next to them.
Aug 17th, 2008, 05:05 AM

I used to think it was people getting their stuff out of the overhead bins that made getting off the plane take so long, but this summer I watched more closely and really, it was that it takes for bloody ever for them to open the door. By then half the plane was already in the aisle with their bags, and once the door was open everyone was quite speedy getting off.

I also live in constant fear that they'll make me check my 20" carry-on, and within Europe they often do. So I put a selection of my most important items in a mesh packing cube and have a thin fold up bag, both inside the suitcase. If I'm forced to check it, I just whip out the thin bag and stuff the mesh bag and a few other items in it and then carry that on. That way if they do loose the main suitcase at least you have some of your stuff. And of course camera, electronics and really important stuff goes in the "personal item" bag.
Aug 17th, 2008, 05:12 AM

My carry-on is a 19" wheeled bag from Dakota (the value line from Tumi, with Tumi quality at half the cost...end result, Tumi dumped the line). I keep my essential carryon stuff in one of those Longchamp nylon totes inside the wheelie. That way, if I'm forced to check it (hasn't happened yet, knock wood), I can just yank out the pliable Longchamp bag and bring that on board.
Aug 17th, 2008, 07:28 AM

My old gym bag has served me well for several years. It has a large nylon inner bag so that dirty things are kept apart from clean clothes.
It has no wheels, just a shoulder strap. Empty it weighs 1 1/2 lb, full, 13 lb. It holds sufficient items for a two week trip.
Aug 17th, 2008, 07:30 AM

I forgot to answer the question. Yes, I think it will be reduced.
Aug 17th, 2008, 07:32 AM

Tuscan, price is a relative thing to me. If it makes my travel easier, then it pays for itself, as my aggravation also has a value. So if you can find the name of that bag you mentioned, I would love to see one. My only concern would be if it can be strong enough and so I would like to see before buying.

We have some (I think) 21 inch Samsonites that we bought for ~$140 each at a Samsonite outlet store in MA in '04 before our last trip to France and we have used them almost exclusively for all travels since. We never check luggage, and while we have not been back to Europe in a few years, we use these suitcases on planes 3- 4 times a year and they continue to be great! They are the best suitcases we have ever owned. However, I am intrigued at the idea of a 5 lb case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO