Carry on restrictions with Luftansa

Old May 8th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carry on restrictions with Luftansa

We are flying Air Canada from Toronto to Frankfurt, but then on to Venice on Luftansa. It turns out that the weight and sizes acceptable for carry on are quite different between the two airlines. Has anyone done this sort of trip recently? Also does anyone know if we will be "in transit" between the two flights, or do we have to clear security again in Frankfurt? Man, I wish the industry could get it's requirements together!!!
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:10 PM

Not only will you pass through security checks you will also pass through immigration as you will be entering Schengen at Frankfurt.

Normally your luggage allowance is that of the long haul carrier
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:35 PM

I haven't had that experience between the long haul carrier and the connecting airline.Each airline has their own rules and if you don't adhere they either charge you or check it.
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:13 PM

If you're talking about size of carry-ons - yes, they are smaller in europe. What they will do about it depends on the model of aircraft and how crowded it is. I had a client in Switz and often flew back from Zutich with the extra tiny wheelie. And many times americans - with their larger carry-ons - had to have them gate-checked, since planes were full and what they had just wouldn't fit. (I believe it is now 19" including wheels)
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:47 PM

LH is pretty permissive.
Only if the aircraft is too small to accomodate the carry-on in the cabin (e.g. a small Canadair jet or similar), or too full, you will be asked to gate check (or once you are already in the plane, or at the gangway if the plane isn't docked to a jetway).
You don't pay anything if that should happen.

It would be wise to have a smaller purse or bag available for the essentials you may not want to have checked with your carry-on.
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everybody! I think I will go with the Air Canada rules since they will apply to all my other flights and take the chance that I might have to gate-check in Frankfort. I always have a smaller bag with the essentials...meds, tickets, electronics etc.
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:04 PM

We flew Lufthansa 1 1/2 years ago from Boston to Munich and they were fairly strict about carry on restrictions on that flight. a young woman walked through the line before check in and picked up bags that she thought might be too heavy. People had to get bags weighed if she thought they were over the limit.