Air Berlin Carry-on Policy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are flying from Atlanta to Dusseldorf on Delta, then we are connecting on Air Berlin to Nice. Air Berlin seems to get good reviews, but they seem to have fairly strict luggage weight rules, especially carry-on. My main question is, does anyone know for certain if you can bring onbard a carry-on tote PLUS a personal bag, such as a purse or camera bag? Thank you.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Looking on airberlin.com - under Service, FAQs, baggage section, it seems that they are allowing only one carry-on.
"For reasons of safety as well as convenience, each passenger is only allowed to take one item of hand luggage into the cabin. The cabin baggage must not weigh more than 6 kg (8 kg for laptops) and must not exceed the measurements of 55 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm."
If you want to test the waters and hopefully get a nice bag screener, I'd bring the extra purse or camera bag, and then if they say no, stuff it in your carry-on.

Good luck!

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 02:59 PM

The bag screeners have nothing to do with Air Berlin - it's the people at checkin / boarding gate you have to convince
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 04:20 PM

Usually Air Berlin has a pretty relaxed policy at check-in.
But if the flight is fully booked, and you cannot stow your carry-ons in the cabin, they may stow it in the cargo bay.
The combination carry-on plus small purse, backpack, etc. has never been a problem, and I fly with them once a week.

Does your checked-in luggage gets checked through all the way from Atlanta to Nice, or do you have to claim it in Düsseldorf? In the latter case, you may also want to keep in mind the 20kg limit for checked-in luggage - if applicable.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Cowboy, we will have to re-check our Delta bags with Air Berlin after collecting them from Dusseldorf baggage claim. The 44 lb. limit shouldn't be a problem on the way over. But after collecting a few bottles of wine and souvenirs, we will probably have to pay for being overweight (luggage and bodies) on our way back 3+ weeks later! Thanks for clarifying about the extra personal bag being okay. That is very reassuring since you're a regular.
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 07:35 AM

Cowboy,

If you take a rollerboard and a backpack (vs checking) and they say no way at the gate, will they gate check it like in the US? If so, will it be waiting on the jetway or on the carousel? I am going Munich to Paris and looking at AB vs a long overnight train ride.
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 07:46 AM

Gate check is no problem.

However, the policy of returning the gate-checked items is always different. When we had nine flights in the USA (with United Airlines) and we gate-checked the stroller for our babies, we had nine times a different procedure to get in back - sometimes directly at the aircraft, sometimes at the regular baggage claim, sometimes at the special baggage claim. I got the expression, it is depends more on the airport and the handling firm than on the carrier.

As Cowbay said, Air Berlin is pretty relaxed with carry-on baggage. Purse, camera bag etc. do not count as baggage.
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 07:50 AM

Tough question. A rollerboard is not listed on their list of bulky sporting goods or similar like bicycles, surfboards etc.

If you check in with AB at the counter, the person will take a look on what you plan to bring onboard.
If you get your boarding pass online, you won't see an AB rep until your board the plane.
If they don't let you take in in the cabin, it will be brought to the cargo bay (you will not have to walk back to the gate or check-in, there is no such thing as gate check with AB), and you will pick it up at the carousel, never at the jetway.

Lots of "if"s in my answer, I know. IF you want to be on the safe side, I would send Air Berlin an email.
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 07:51 AM

Please disregard my last message. Reading Traveller1959's post I noticed that I was on a totally different track re. gate check.
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:13 AM

By rollerboard, I mean a typical carry-on suitcase with wheels.
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It might have made more sense if you had said "roll aboard" instead of rollerboard. I also thought you meant a skateboard type thingey . . . . . .
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 01:11 PM

LOL.. janisj.. I have to admit that the "rollerboard" added to my prior confusion a bit..

So, if the "suitcase with wheels" is somewhat in the vicinity of the carry-on measurements and fits into the overhead lockers, it should be no problem to bring that plus a bagpack on board.

I know that it is 2 pieces and in "violation" of Air Berlin's own restrictions, but I have used Air Berlin more than 20 times this year, and I have never seen them make a fuss about it UNLESS the plane was really full AND there was literally no space anywhere in the cabin for the suitcase.

Then they will have it taken to the cargo bay, and you will probably have to get it from the carousel.

The only limitation I can think of is that both pieces of your luggage have to comply with the restrictions on liquids, i.e. no French wine bottles or Provence marmelade in your belongings. Well, you can get that stuff after security in Paris anyway...