easy jet

Jan 10th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

easy jet

hi everyone. i want to fly easy jet from berlin to paris. whats the drill regarding BAGGAGE? carry on means hand baggage? dont they have a check in like ordinary companies?
Jan 10th, 2008, 06:02 AM

There is no weight limit on hand luggage (one piece, size 55x40x20cm), provided you can lift it yourself into overhead bin. There is a charge of £3.99 online or £8 at airpport per person for checked luggage with a combined weight limit of 20kg.
See http://www.easyjet.co.uk/EN/Planning/baggage.html
Charging extra for checked luggage is getting more common amoung budget airlines, like easyJet, Ryanair etc.
Jan 10th, 2008, 06:23 AM

Last time I flew Easyjet from Berlin, the check-in procedure was that you first go to a self-check-in kiosk. Check in and print your luggage tags. Take luggage to drop-off counter.

Especially in Berlin, Easyjet has IMO a few disadvantages compared with other airlines, i.e. they fly from Schönefeld airport which is not as quickly and easily accessible than Tegel airport. And they expect you be at the airport 2hrs prior to departure, while others (e.g. airberlin) are okay with 40 minutes. On the other hand, easyjet is (pls correct me if I am wrong) the only LCC with a nonstop service BER-PAR -- while Air Berlin makes you connect in DUS, NUE or VIE.
Mar 11th, 2008, 01:27 PM

I see that there have been a lot of responses to the weight limit and how you are charged extra if the baggage exceeds weight. What if it exceeds length? The suitcase I have been planning on packing in is a 25" suitcase. Will they charge me more for the length even if the weight is not exceeded?
Mar 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM

marisak: The dimensions mentioned above are for carry-on. 25 in (63 cm) is too big to carry on but just fine to check.
Mar 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Hi marisak,

for checked baggage, size [within reason] doesn't matter - it's weight that counts.

for hand baggage, it's size they are bothered about, not weight. I've never had hand-baggage weighed!

so far as i know, only the UK [and that at only some airports] is enforcing the "one carry-on" rule, but you should check on the web-site as that CAN cause weight problems when people have to check extra luggage they thought they were going to carry-on.

It's fun to watch though! [anyone remember the generation game?]

regards, ann
Mar 11th, 2008, 01:59 PM

My perhaps faultily-remembered last experience with EasyJet was that they OPENED the check-in for flights two hours in advance and I believe they close it 30 minutes prior...NO EXCEPTIONS...you don't necessarily have to be there two hours ahead BUT you have to reach the check-in counter before that 30 minutes ahead closing or you are SOL.
Mar 11th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Hi dukey,

yep, that's pretty standard for E/jet - our flights from Bristol to Venice and back in 2 weeks time have that arrangement.

regards, ann
Mar 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM

"reaching" the checkin counter is not enough. You must be checked in w/ boarding pass in hand by their cut off time. The cut off is 30 mins at many airports, 40 mins at others, I think 45 mins at a few. So you need to know the rules at the airport you are using.
Mar 11th, 2008, 02:55 PM

My experiences with EasyJet (always outside UK, in Germany, France, Spain and Italy) are fairly good. Check-in procedure is like other airlines. You stand in line and eventually you will be checked-in. Usually they have different counters for different flights.

And we never had problems with hand baggage. However, we observed that a couple brought a small dog on a plane and they were evicted from the plane because it is a British carrier and in UK it is forbidden to carry animals on a plane. Very strange.
Mar 11th, 2008, 11:48 PM

<<< in UK it is forbidden to carry animals on a plane >>>

If it was a flight to the UK then there are very strict government imposed rules which mean that only selected airlines can transport dogs into the UK

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...pets/index.htm
Mar 11th, 2008, 11:50 PM

Just checked further - the only live animals Easyjet will take are service dogs

http://www.pettravel.com/airline_pet_rules/easyJet.cfm
Mar 24th, 2008, 09:08 AM

Hi there- we flew EasyJet from Paris to Berlin (and return) last week on our trip. I had been concerned about EasyJet's luggage restrictions, as well as other timing/boarding issues, because of what I read on these forums. I don't think EasyJet is much different from any other regular (i.e., U.S.-based) airline.

Here's my summary of EasyJet rules, and you should have no problem:

1. you are allowed ONE checked-in ("hold") bag. I think the weight limit is 20 kgs (which, at 44 pounds, is a tad less than most US airlines' 50 lb. limit).

2. you are (technically) allowed ONE carry-on bag of limited size. I was scared by this and only carried on my purse! However, we saw many people carrying on a purse plus a small rolling-bag, or backpack, etc. so I'm not sure how strictly this is enforced.

3. as far as reaching the airport prior to departure- do not run up to the gate at the last minute- DUH.

We had a great EasyJet experience. It was just like Southwest Airlines (as far as there being no seat assignments, and very nice staff people), in my experience.