Air Berlin - luggage.

Old Jul 16th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Berlin - luggage.

I know luggage allowance for European flights is 23 kg, and I can pay excess luggae charges when booking online. My question is the excess luggage charge cheaper at when booking online or the same prices as at the airport?

Thanks.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 05:02 PM

It is pretty clearly explained on their website:

http://www.airberlin.com/site/flug_g...e.php?LANG=eng

Your luggage allowance is 20kg, not 23. And if you pay excess at the airport, it's 10EUR/kg. Or you can pre-purchase excess "units" at 25EUR/5kg when you buy your ticket.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thnak for your help rkkwan, I completely missed that info on the website. BTW, I had called Air Berlin to inquire and that's when I was told I was allowed 23 kgs, I guess that's incorrect.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Now I'm even more confused than when I posted this question. I am making a dummy booking for Krakow to Berlin, if I make this booking in October I am able to per purchase excess luggage at a cost of 25 euros for 5 kg. If I book in November, the site is telling me this option (ie, excess luggage chargers) are not available on this flight. I called, and the IDIOT (sorry, but I just had to type that), kept tell me the piece system applies on flight from the US to Germany, and I need to be at the airport 4 hours prior to departure. I kept telling him, that I was travelling from Poland, he kept repeating info that is one for transatlantic flights. URGH.

One rule of thumb, if you don't get an answer call back, I did that and got the same person. I will call back late in the day. Meanwhile, if anybody know why this is the case, please chime in. From what I can understand I cannot purchase this 5 kg of excess luggage if the luggage allowance is the pieces system. Surely, the piece system would not be used for an intra Europe flight.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 05:53 AM

Just buy the Topbonus service card. It gives you 10 kg extra luggage for a year + other goodies for about the same as buying extra luggage on a roundtrip.