Search

BA gets an "A"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA gets an "A"

Four weeks ago, I flew from Miami to Geneva, Switzerland. I booked the one-way ticket using 50,000 miles on their website in Business Class. I had a lounge in Miami, I was able to move my seat to the upper deck of the 747 and the service was excellent. Announcements were kept to a minimum making a good night sleep possible on the flat (no angle) business seats.

Because the return flight is a day flight, I decided to save miles and fly home in economy using 25,000 miles. The flight started in Stuttgart, Germany. Changing planes at London Heathrow's Terminal 5 was very easy. I was able to move my seat assignment to the first row of economy (bulkhead) 24 hours before the flight which helped. The fasten seatbelt sign was turned off five minutes after take-off from London and I was getting a free drink from the bar 20 minutes after take-off. The lunch was excellent with a good size salad, chicken, a great dessert and another wine. I had coffee and a third wine--all included. Later in the flight I walked to the galley and had a beer. The video-on-demand system worked well and I don't believe they edit their moves as I watched, Sex In The City. There were over 100 shows to choose from.

The fasten seatbelt sign was turned on 20 minutes to landing and announcements were made during the first thirty minutes and last thirty minutes of the flight, making sleeping very possible.

There was no wait at Passport Control in Miami and I brushed my teeth with the included toothbrush that BA gave me along with socks and eyeshades while I waited at baggage claim.

While all of the U.S. airlines seem to be cutting back in economy, I didn't notice this with BA and plan to fly them again next summer using the same strategy; Business Class flying over during the night flight and economy flying home during the day flight.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 06:16 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much was the fuel surcharge fee you paid along with your miles?
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Original Poster

I tried to dig up that information but I believe I have deleted it. Anyway, I checked several cities in Europe where BA flies and I picked the cheaper cities with the taxes. Each flight costs about $225. I wanted to fly into Spain, but BA charges an extra 10,000 miles for Spain and Italy, so I was limited to the UK, Germany, France, Belgium, Switzerland, and Amsterdam.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 04:12 AM
hsv

It still doesn't turn BA into BAA...
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 12:31 PM

I've been flying BA since 1994 and always happily (they misplaced my luggage for 6 days in 1999, but I forgive them). The flights are always pleasant and comfortable and the mileage asked for upgrades to Business, etc. is very reasonable. I especially like the ability to pick and choose how many miles I want to give up by using the pay by miles and cash option.

I'm flying FIRST CLASS in October phl to cdg for 75000 and $162.00--total. HUGE DEAL, IMHO. I'm flying the return leg in World Traveler Plus. (By the way, I'm only flying first because there were no Business or WTP seats available for that day--any flight.)

The lounges are wonderful. I usually fly business (with 25000 miles) and the lounges at both Newark and Philly provide a lovely dinner if you wish to eat there before boarding. Breakfast in the Heathrow lounge during the layover is always great, too.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

I have to agree about the lounges in London. One could sleep on the plane and eat at the lounge if they wanted.

But the quietness on the flights is worth the extra money with BA. Announcements are not made during the sleeping hours unless there is major turbulence. Delta seems to enjoy making a loud announcement every hour. And American Airlines, is it $7 or $8 for wine and beer on an international flight? I read both today on www.airlinequality.com
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 05:46 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>And American Airlines, is it $7 or $8 for wine and beer on an international flight? I read both today on www.airlinequality.com</i>

Not in business class.

BA charges mileage redemption passengers (using BA or Alaska miles) their fuel surcharges; e.g. $250 for MIA-xLHR-GVA RT, regardless of class of service, while American doesn't. When using AA miles for BA flights, AA doesn't pass on BA's fuel fines, so e.g. my wife rode BA in first class Nairobi - London - Vancouver using AA miles, and the taxes/fees paid to AA for the ticket totaled something like $15.

In AA coach, one could purchase a fair number of drinks for the extra $235 BA charges.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 07:26 PM

BA charged me a total of $162.(and change) and 75000 for my first class out/WTP return. The $162 was the tax and surcharges. I was surprised it was so low because I agree that BA (and most other non-USA carriers) charge a huge surcharge.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

So is it $7 or $8?
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 10:47 AM

They've lost my luggage several times. I'm not happy. (Luggage turned up after trip ended in all but one instance.)