Search

Interlaken

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interlaken

If you only had a day or two in central Switzerland, near Interlaken, what would you do?
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 04:35 PM

Take the cogg (?) train up to Wengen . Some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Well - I know what I would do - but since I don;t know what your intrests are - or when you'll be there - it's hard to say.

I would take one day and go up the Jungfrau (stopping at one of the cute villages on the way up or back down). But this can be done only if the weather allows (you have to call the train station and they let you kow the if there's any visibility at the top - which may be completely diffeent than in Interlaken.)

Then, I would spend the other day driving to Lucerne, stopping at Brienz on the way to see the lake, waterfall, wood carver's village and then the Old Swiss Town, tour Lucerne old town briefly, take a boar ride if time allows, have dinner in a nice place and drive back.

An alternative is to take a drive to Thun, tour the Castle and the adorable galleried old town and then take a boat ride on Lake Thun (Interlaken is between Lakes Thun and Brienz).

But - you may just be interested in hiking - and find the above completely boring.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 04:46 PM

If the day is clear, I would take a mountain excursion. My four top candidates from least expensive to most expensive are: 1. Train from Interlaken Ost to Grindelwald and then take the gondola from Grindelwald to First (end station name; means ridge in German).

2. Train to Wengen, cable car to the crest of the high ridge (The Männlichen) that towers over the valley, walk down the gentle descent to Kleine Scheidegg (mountain pass), and take the train back to Interlaken via Wengen.

3. Train from Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen, cable lift and train to Mürren and then cable car from Mürren to the Schilthorn.

3. Train from Interlaken Ost to the Jungfraujoch. The trip is in 3 stages with changes in Lauterbrunnen and Kleine Scheidegg.

From First you could walk across the relatively flat area to Grosse Scheidegg and take the bus back to Grindelwald and return to Interlaken by train. There are other hiking/walking opportunities in the area.

If the day is cloudy, I would visit the Museum of Swiss Life near Brienz at a location called Ballenberg. The museum is outside, so cloudy does not mean raining. In Brienz, look in at the wood carver shops. Some beautiful work is for sale.

If the day is rainy, as most days in Interlaken are right now, I am not sure what I would do. There are a few attractions inside in Interlaken but not many. I would probably take the train to Luzern and visit the transportation museum, which is well worth the effort.

Of the excursions, which is my favorite?
Hard choice. No tight limit on the budget? Then the Jungfraujoch, BUT the day needs to be clear.

A limit on the budget? Then either First or the Männlichen.

If a hike is in the picture than I can throw in a 5th one. Take the train to Grindelwald from Interlaken Ost. Walk (or bus) to the church. Near the church is a cable car station that goes to a mountain side vista called Pfingstegg. From there walk to Stieregg for a look into the inter mountain world of glaciers and peaks.
This hike is one of my all time favorites. The views are awesome.
The trail is not steep as mountain trails go. There was a restaurant at Stieregg, but my understanding is that it is no longer there because the subsoil was unstable.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 07:46 PM

I am surprised at the low number of responses. Perhaps if you revised the title to give viewers more of a clue as to what you really want there might be some added postings. There are quite a few regulars who post here that know the area as well as I do, if not better.

I can add one idea: Schynige Platte.
Take the train from Interlaken Ost to the first stop just a little ways away called Wilderswil. Change there to the train to Schynige Platte which is the top of that high glacial ridge that looms above Interlaken to the southeast.

If the day is cloudy, I don't think the trip is worth it because you cannot see anything.

If the day is clear, the views of the lakes on either size of Interlaken and of the main range of the Berner Oberland are stunning.

When you say "near Interlaken," just how near is near? Within an hour's train ride?
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 08:14 PM

If I only had, ohhh, lets say 1 day there, I'd take the train from Interlaken Ost over to Lauterbrunnen. Then take the Wengen train up past Wengen and up to the Wengerbahn station. I'd get out there and walk up to the Eiger Glacier station. The views are superb, but some might find this hike too strenuous. I am sure none of the regulars in here would

At least take the train all the way to Kleine Scheidegg. Get off there and perhaps walk back down to Wengen where you can train it back to Interlaken.

Now playing:

Why by Uriah Heep

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 02:56 AM

Hi chris2x,

I guess you're going to see a lot of variety in the responses --

If I hadn't ever been to the area before, I'd take one day for an Alpine ramble and try to soak up all the spectacular scenery. I'd be sure to hit at least one car-less village, either Wengen or Muerren.

For the second day, I'd take a lake trip on either Lake Thun or Lake Brienz. I've heard that Brienz is the more scenic of the two, but I've only done Thun. If you opt for Thun, take the train to Thun, wander the town and the castle, then walk to the town of Oberhofen. Then take a ferry or a train or a bus to Spiez and wander the town -- delightful place. Then take a ferry back to Interlaken. Ferry schedules at www.bls.ch.

Good luck!

s
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 03:47 AM

I'm with swandav on this. Wish you had three days. The open air museum at Ballenberg is very fine. Yes, Brienzersee is the more beautiful of the two lakes, but Thun is an interesting town. S', can you walk from Thun to Oberhofen? I didn't know that! J.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 04:21 AM

Hi j!

Well, I haven't done the walk myself though it's high on my "list"! I have seen the path when on the ferry, so I assume one can walk the whole way.

s
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:58 AM

My absolute advice is to go to Schynige Platte.

We got there by a bus in Interlaken to another place in Interlaken (don't remember the street); just ask at your hotel or B&B desk. Then from there you connect to an incredible cog wheel "train" up the sides of the mountains. The views are spectacular. At Schnigge you can walk in the alpine garden at 6,000 feet- wonderful - listen for the cow bells in the distance.