Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can Wengen be the base for the following trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
We are travelling to Switzerland in May for about 9 days. During this trip I will be making the 2 day trips - one to Jungfrau & the other to Shilthron. Initially Interlaken was our base, but after reading some posting, figured I should either move to Wengen or Lauterbrunnen. Which is better as far as nature is concerned? Also, from here we will head to Lucrene for two days - one day Mt.Titlus and second day local Lucerne sight seeing. I was wondering if I can stay put in Wegen\Lauterbrunnen and make day trips to Lucerne or is too far for day trip?

Thanks
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 12:06 PM

Wengen is excellent for Jungfrau and Schilthorn. But it is more than 3 1/2 hours to Luzern by train. Check on sbb.ch
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 12:37 PM

I don't think I would use excellent for the Wengen - Schilthorn, but good would suffice. The reason for my minor downgrade is that you must descend to Lauterbrunnen, and then ascend the other side of the valley and ride to Mürren.

One way, the best travel time is 1 hour, 14 minutes via Stechelberg.

But it is no big deal. The trains and lifts are timed to coincide with each other fairly well.

Wengen is on the line from Lauterbrunnen to the Jungfraujoch, so I think excellent describes its positioning exactly.

For Luzern, the problem is the slow train. You can drive the route about an hour quicker! I have tried it both ways, and car is definitely faster.

At best, the trip Wengen - Luzern is 3 and a half hours one way with two changes: Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken Ost.
The train from Interlaken Ost ascends the Brünig Pass, which is mildly spectacular. The route is a slow one because the train stops 9 times.
The delay, however, that costs the most time is in Interlaken Ost. There is not a quick connection in the mornings for the train to Luzern when coming from Lauterbrunnen. You stand around for an hour almost.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Wengen is a nicer town the Lauterbrunnen and will save you at least 30 minutes on the Jungfrau trip, as Wengen is the first stop on the train up from Lauterbrunnen. Lauterbrunnen is at the bottom of the valley and has cars, parking lots a train station and some noise. Wengen is on a shelf up above the valley and has spetacular valley and Jungfrau views. (Jungfrau views from Lauterbrunnen are good, but obviously no valley views as it is on the valley floor.). Going over to Murren from Wengen is not a big deal, IMO, and does not justify staying in Lauterbrunnen instead, as the latter is not as nice a town.

Glad you aren't staying in Interlaken.

Agree the Lucerne is a bit of a stretch by train. I think after the Jungfrau, you may be disappointed with Titlus, so you might want to give it a miss. I am also not a fan of Lucerne, other than a little bit of old town, there is not much alhtough there are some views, but IMO they do not compare to the Interlaken area. I would take a long ferry ride on lake Brienz or lake Thun and see the charming little towns along either lake, esp Thun.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments. Looks like after Wegen, moving to Lucerne is a good idea.
Cicerone, I will think about your comments and see how I can play around with my itinenary. Thanks
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 08:47 AM

If you go to the Schilthorn, note that there are two routes which join in Mürren.
There is a time difference of over 30 minutes between the two when traveling from Wengen.

We can debate Wengen vs Lauterbrunnen vs Mürren at length. For 2 or 3 days, I would pick Mürren because of its better views.

Wengen is perhaps a little more convenient to ge to than Mürren because it is on the train line to the Jungfrau. The brown and tan BOB trains from Interlaken Ost are timed with the yellow and green WAB trains that go up the mountain through Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg, where you connect to the Jungfraubahn.

On the Wengen side of the ledger, it has a better bakery!! Two in fact. And the cable car (Luftseilbahn) that goes up to the crest of the Männlichen is a short walk north along the main street. It is very obvious because of the cables.

I usually stay in Lauterbrunnen because of its convenience, but I am there more than a week and I like the fact that I can get in and out by car from a "free" parking place. Noise has not been a factor because after the stores close, the town is virtually closed.

I usually am in Wengen and Mürren at least once and often twice on my visits as well as Grindelwald and Interlaken.

I think it boils down to what you prefer.