Wengen or Lauterbrunnen: Where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings everyone -Our family with couple of kids is trying to reserve an apartment to stay in the Interlaken area between June 20-25.We have narrowed it to apartment in Wengen or Lauterbrunnen. The price is similar, the apartment in Wengen has an Internet connection.Where should we stay? Is it easier to move around from Lauterbrunnen? Does Wengen have more restaurant selection?

How long does it take to reach Wengen by train/cog rail from Interlaken?Thanks for any tips.
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:45 AM

How old are your kids - it they're in mid to late teens i'd chose lauterbrunnen because groups like Contiki bring busloads of young folk thru and stay in Lauterbrunnen - a livelier town.

But Wengen has to me better views and a more laidback feeling. but churchmouse quiet as well, which is why many folks rave about it. Wengen is only 20 mins by rail from Lauterbrunnen with frequent trains all day

commercially both towns are about the same it seems - several restaurants and a few food stores.

Most Fodorites favor Wengen over Lauterbrunnen.

If you have a Swiss Pass it would cover you in full from Interlaken Ost to Wengen via Lauterbrunnen.

If doing Jungfraujoch train then Wengen is closer as from lauterbrunnen you need go thru Wengen. I walked from Kleine Scheidegg (where Jungfraujoch train starts from) down to Wengen recently and it was a great walk over paths wide enough for mountain bikers and rather easy few hour hike with astounding views over the jungfrau, lauterbrunnen valley and Murren on its cliff.
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:49 AM

how to reach these towns by train

take train to Interlaken Ost (East) station as opposed to Interlaken West in the town centre - then hop the BOB Berner Oberland Bahn train from Ost to Lauterbrunnen (note that this train splits half way up at Zweilutchen (sp?) with half going to Grindelwald and half to Lauterbrunnen so be in the cars clearly marked Lauterbrunnen so you don't end up in Grindelwald, one valley over a several thousand feet high ridge. Then at Lauterbrunnen you must change trains again due to a track width different - a tinier train goes up to Wengen (and onto Kleine Scheidegg). For a good look at this area and trains get the free European Planning & Rail Guide at budgeteuropetravel.com as it has a special section on the area and its trains and sights. www.swisstravelsystem.com also has good info. schedules at www.sbb.ch
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:15 AM

I'm a fodorite who prefers Lauterbrunnen - for some reason it just seems more "real" to me (not as touristy). Lauterbrunnen is in the valley, so you are looking up at cliffs and mountains all around. Wengen is at a higher elevation, with great views as well. They are very close by train (or hiking) - you really can't go wrong either way.
Martha
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:20 AM

I too would prefer Lauterbrunnen over Wengen because of those same reasons - more lively, folks transiting to higher climes, still great but different views and better located for trips to Murren or down to Interlaken.

Wengen appeals to an older more sedate crowd. Lauterbrunnen younger less upscale is my take on it.
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:51 AM

Hmmmmm....We are neither old nor sedate, and prefer to be up in the mountain village (Mürren, actually). We hike our legs off during the day and don't mind if it's quiet at night. And it's not always quiet---one evening we enjoyed the lovely sound of a yodeling group---young men serenading one of their own who was about to be married the next day. The sat at the Stägerstübli and sang away, while the beer flowed freely; then they moved on along the main path to another place. It was a real treat.

Whenever we are in Lauterbrunnen I feel threatened by all the cars whizzing past, and can't wait to get back up on the mountain. I can't imagine what there is to do there at night that you cojldn't also do in Wengen. Is there a disco or something?

How old are the kids? They might really appreciate the internet aspect---not that you want them on the computer the whole time, but sometimes it's nice to give them a little quiet time of their own.
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks PalenQ, that is what i am gathering too. Lauterbrunnen may be a better transit point.

My kids are 3 and 6 years old love to hike. Will Lauterbrunnen be a better starting point for moderate hikes 4-6 mile or less ?
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:23 AM

i think yes because i've hiked around Wengen and it seems there are slopes everywhere.

Lauterbrunnen valley is flat - nice two mile hike to end of valley at Stechelberg (where thrilling airplane like gondola goes up to Gimmelwald and Murren) - short stroll goes to Trummelbach Falls about a mile out of town - flat along the river - the waterfall inside the mountain that is the sole drain of the Jungfrau glacier they say - kids will love going inside and seeing the torrent of water coming down.

cheeers
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:34 PM

I also love Murren as my destination, but have stayed in Lauterbrunnen on several occasions.

The nice thing about Lauterbrunnen is that you can go in either direction. One day go up to Wengen and another day you can go to Murren.

LAUTERBRUNNEN: In Lauterbrunnen you can walk the valley floor to Stechelberg and see Trummelbach falls on your way. Or you could rent a bike in town and bike the path. There are beautiful view up the valley of beautiful snow capped mountains.

MURREN: I spent 5 days in Murren and on one of the days it was very foggy in town, but when we decended to Lauterbrunnen it was sunny.

Murren has nice walks also. One direction will take you on a nice hike to Winteregg where you can stop and have breakfast/lunch or dinner, and the other way you can hike down to Gimmelwald and see the barn where they sleep in the straw. If you are tired you can take the lift back from Gimmelwald.

Walking through the town is also another option. There is a sportscenter where you can swim indoors that is free of charge to people who stay in town.

Whatever your choice, you will love Switerland.
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:24 PM

We stayed in Wengen while we were in the Bernese Oberland region of Switzerland. I like the feel of a small town with a little "Main Street" and tiny shops along the street. Plus its car-free with a train station to go to Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfraujoch and then there's the cable car towards the end of "Main Street" that brings you to Mannlichen. Wengen has several restaurants you can choose from.
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:41 AM

You can't go wrong whichever one you chose - Wengen is just 20 mins from Lauterbrunnen by train so it's about the same location as a base and vice versa. Take the one that suits your likings more in the kind of town and crowd there.
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:34 AM

come to think of it both have rave views - Wengen's is from above and down into the Lauterbrunnen Valley and Lauterbrunnen's is from below and up along the valley walls - but both offering the fantastic visage of the ice-girdled Jungfrau Massif above all - the view down the Lauterbrunnen Valley to its end is awfully inspiring, especially at sunset.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We will be staying in Wengen!
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM

Seems like I got in too late on this one.

First, you cannot lose!
The train from Interlaken goes first to Lauterbrunnen where you must change to a train more designed to ascend the steep side of the valley.

The total ride up takes 14 minutes and there are trains every 25 minutes during the day.

The rail line from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen continues on to Kleine Scheidegg where many passengers transfer to the Jungfraubahn for the trip to the Jungfraujoch.

I personally opt for Lauterbrunnen, but that is because we have found a good apartment accommodation there. We go to Wengen every visit, I might add. It does have good restaraunts.

One favorite excursion of mine is to take the Luftseilbahn from the Wengen to the crest of the ridge that towers high above the valley: The Männlichen.

From there you can walk to Kleine Scheidegg on a gradually descending trail and return to Wengen by train, or continue on down the path.

You can also take the gondola from the Männlichen to Grindelwald Grund, which is not the main part of Grindelwald.

I don't think you can go wrong with Wengen. With small children, a gasoline engine free town is a plus. There are electric carts that roll about, but they are silent and relatively few although they do tend to cluster around the train station.

I might also add that the bakery in Wengen is much better than the one in Lauterbrunnen. I don't know why it is true, but a sourpuss runs the bakery in Lauterbrunnen. If you are born in the valley, and your name is von Allmen, you have inherited rights of some type.

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:52 AM

I wonder if Greg and Duwane Allman or Allmen are related.?

Sorry, my rock n rol roots come through now and then