2 nights in Interlaken

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 nights in Interlaken

Hello Swiss experts,

My boyfriend and I are traveling a bit around Switzerland in a week. We will be stopping for two nights in Interlaken and I was wondering what good day trips you could recommend from there...
We are looking for train rides/light hiking with beautiful views. And/or quaint towns on the way.
Any suggestions?
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Jules, any one of the mountain top cable car trips are very unique. I like Titlus, but that's me. There is also lots of hiking available at any of these locations. Interlaken is also a fun city to hike. Take the little train to the top of the hill and have lunch. If you choose you can hang gluide your way back into the center of town where the cows hang out. Have fun.

Greg
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 01:24 PM

Interlaken is a train hub to the Jungrau area. Although most people choose not to stay in Interlaken, Interlaken (despite being snubbed by many) can be a good starting point for many good light-moderate- advanced hiking activities.

First thing is to check in with the i(information)office on the main drag. As I recall, it is about half way in between the two train stations.

Ask for free walking maps of the area, however, the freebies are ok, but do not detail as much as a walking maps that might have a 10 franc charge.

Here is a walk (it is not a hike), but offers some wonderful views and experiences of the area.

I know many people have written about the famous "Grandmother's walk". This will be a good starting walk

Take the train from Interlaken Ost all the way to Wengen. From Wengen, walk over to the gondola station in Wengen. It is not far from the Wengen train station. Buy a ticket up to Mannlichen.

Then from Mannlichen, walk over to Kleine Scheidegg. On this walk, you'll see some very fine views of Grindlewald down below and of the surrounding mountains. You'll see the Wetterhorn and as you get closer to Kleine Scheidegg, the Eiger, then the Jungfrau will pop into view. Great views.

Once you get to Kleine Scheidegg(hang around Kleine Scheidegg for awhile though)you can continue on several more hiking options.

If you're legs can handle it, walk up to the Eiger glacier station. You'll pretty much be under the Jungfrau most of the time and the view is tremendous. Instead of taking the train back down to Wengen, walk down to Wengeralps. The view of the mighty Jungfrau is great. From Wengeralp you can take the train back to Wengen and Lauterbrunnen. Then from Lauterbrunnen, you can return back to Interlaken.

That is just one suggestion of a fun walk-hike type deal that you can do.

If this thread does not die, I will submit some other fun walks. I did submit one of my favorite hikes in the area and that was the North Face Eiger hike. That hike also will cover much of the same places that the Grandma hike covers. Some difference, but Kleine Scheidegg is one of the places that you will more than likely end up at again.

Two days will not give you much time to explore the area, but staying in Interlaken offers you a springboard to the Jungfrau area.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for such detailed responses!

Any thoughts on actually taking a train to get further up in the mountains even if it doesn't include hiking?
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 11:37 AM
yk

Hi Jules-

You can take the Jungfraubahn from Interlaken up to Jungfraujoch. Quite expensive but beautiful views on top of Jungfrau. Be sure you go on a clear day and go early - the mountain top tends to get cloudy in the afternoon.

If you do a search here on this board, you'll find lots and lots of threads in the past about Interlaken & Berner Oberland. Type "Interlaken" on "Berner Oberland" in the search box above and you'll find tonnes of threads for more ideas.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 08:10 AM

If you do not want to go all the way to the top of the Jungfrau, get off in Kleine Scheidegg. The views coming up from the Lauterbrunnen valley side are excellent.

Or you could travel up to Murren. From Lauterbrunnen, go across the tracks and take the cog train up to Murren. Great views of the Jungfaru on the other side of Winteregg.

There is another light walk-hike up in the Murren area. Take the cog train up to Allmenhubbel. From Almenmhubbel take one of the walking trails over to Winteregg. Great views! Then once you get to Winteregg, sit out on the patio and have some good eats followed by some frosty, cold delights.

I do not think that trail is the kind of trail that is that physically demanding either.

Once in Winteregg, you can take the train back to Murren or back down to Lauterbrunnen so you can make your Interlaken train connection.

Have lotsa fun