Swiss experts - need your advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Switzerland in July and have planned out a day in the mountains that, on paper, looks reasonable but I thought I'd go to the experts to see if its too much. We will be based in Interlaken.

My plan is to train/funicular to Murren, then walk back to Grutschalp (1-1.5 hours, 2.5 miles?). Then funciular/train to Wengen, then continue on to Kleine Scheidegg. From there walk to Mannlichen (1.5 hours, 2.5 miles?). Then gondola to Grindelwald and then train back to Interlaken. We will have a full day, can leave early in the a.m. and don't need to be back in Interlaken at any special time. Does this sound doable?
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 02:36 PM

If I understand your plan correctly, those walks can be done, but do try and get as early a start as you can.

The walk over to Grutschalp is a very nice and scenic walk with great views of the Jungfrau and company.

As you pointed out, you can catch the funicular back down to Lauterbrunnen, then cross the tracks and catch the Wengen train. Then get the the Mannlichenbahn up to Mannilichen, which is in the center of Wengen, up to Mannlichen. From Mannlichen, you can walk to Klein Scheidegg where the views of Grindlewald, the Wetterhorn, The Eiger and the JungFrau are in clear view if the weather is sunny. You can then walk back to Mannlichen and catch the cable system back down to Grindlewald. You can catch the train back up to the Grindlewald main station.

Then you can train back to Interlaken. It will be full day, but it can be done if you start early.

This sounds as though it will be a full day. Leave early as you can! Be sure to get yourself in condition before these walks.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Yes this sounds like a long but fruitful day. Let me make a few comments.

First because of the timing of the valley departures of the various cable lifts, I suggest you do the route in the reverse order.

Here is why. The last departure from the Männlichen to Grindelwald Grund is about 17:30. In July there is still plenty of daylight left when both cable lines shut down. (There is a cabin cable car down to Wengen and a gondola line to Grindelwald Grund.)

On the other hand, you can leave Mürren as late as 19:15 and make connections to Interlaken Ost. (There is a descent at 22:15, but that is getting a little late.)

Let me suggest you do it in reverse order this way.

Go first from Interlaken Ost to Grindelwald. From the main station you may either walk downhill to Grindelwald Grund to take the gondola up to the Männlichen, or you can take the train headed to Kleine Scheidegg as far as Grindelwald Grund, get off, and walk a short distance to the gondola station.

From the Männlichen, you can walk down the slope to Kleine Scheidegg. This way is preferable in many respects because the Eiger is directly in front of you as you approach Kleine Scheidegg.

From Kleine Scheidegg you can descend by train via Wengen to Lauterbrunnen.

In Lauterbrunen, walk across the street from the station to the elevator on wheels (Drehtseilbahn) and ride up the valley side to Grutschalp.

From Grutschalp, walk the broad trail to Mürren. I have done this route several times myself, and I suggest walking TOWARD Mürren because the views of the Jungfrau are in front of you rather than behind you.

Once in Mürren, if you get an early enough start, you will have the option to ascend to the top of the Schilthorn.
The ride up is pricey, but you will never forget it if the day is clear.

To descend from Mürren, you have two choices. One way is take the trolley train back to Grutschalp and descend the way you came up.

The second way is to take the lower legs of the Schilthornbahn down to Gimmelwald, change cars, and continue down to Stechelberg where a waiting Post Bus will take you back to Lauterbrunnen.

If you start your descent at 19:15, you will be back to Interlaken Ost in 55 minutes. (If you go back via Grutschalp, the last departure is at 19:45 and takes longer to reach Interlaken Ost because of connection times.)

When you get on the train in Interlaken OST, be sure you get on a car marked with hangtag for your destination - Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen. The train divides at a station named Zweilütschinen. Normally, Lauterbrunnen cars are in Sektor 2A and Grindelwald cars are in 2B. The safe way is to check the hangtags before boarding the car. Also check for non smoking and 2nd class. (I presume you are not going 1st class on a 25 minute ride.)

I hope this plan makes sense. If you do the Männlichen first, it leaves open the option to ride to the top of the Schilthorn, AND it leaves open the option to go elsewhere from Kleine Scheidegg. There are several trails that radiate out from there, particularly the one that leads uphill to the Eigergletscher station from where you can see the face of the Eiger up close and personal.
(Or you can ride the train up. Eigergletscher is the first stop up to the Jungfraujoch on the Jungfraubahn.)

If you do your trip in reverse, you will have time for dinner in Mürren and watch the late afternoon sun shine on the Jungfrau and the Breithorn.

Too bad you only have 1 day, but if you do what you suggest, you will have a day that you will never forget. I will wish hard for sunshine.

Old Jun 12th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Once you get to Kleine Scheidegg, take the train back down to the Grindlewald main station. The ticket can get somewhat high, but you'd save time.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 03:47 PM

the advice by sunstar is good

As a second thought, if you want to get it all in, remember that there are two ways to ride down to and from the Männlichen.
There is the gondola from Grindlwald Grund that we have discussed already, AND there is a two-car cable line that travels between the Männlichen and Wengen.

So if you want to save time, and your legs, you can ride up from Grindelwald and down to Wengen or vice versa.

The hike from the ridge to Kleine Scheidegg is not bad however.

I think it becomes a question of personal choice.

Which ever way you do it, I think walking TOWARDS Mürren is preferable to walking away from it.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Isabel -

As usual, Bob has given excellent advice.

I just want to add that we've walked these routes (Grutschalp-Murren and Mannlichen-Kleine Scheidegg) and they each took us about an hour. They're both gentle walks and good choices on a long day.

If you choose to leave Murren via the Schilthornbahn as Bob mentioned, and aren't yet tired of walking, you might consider walking from Murren to Gimmelwald (30 minutes) then taking the second leg of the Schilthornbahn from Gimmelwald to Steckelberg. Or, you might want to take both legs of the Schilthornbahn to Steckelberg, then walk back to Lauterbrunnen - this is an easy flat walk along the valley floor which takes about an hour.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 05:14 PM

In my opinion, two of the best walks in that whole area were part of isabel's original plans.

I prefer the Allmenhubbel to Grutsalp walk, but the Murren to Allmenhubbel is nice also.

Bob is correct that the hike going from Grutchalps to Murren is probablly a better option.

isabel, whatever you do, please try and do those two walks you mentioned. Those walks are fairly easy and do offer the walker some tremendous views of the area.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 05:36 PM

I am amazed at the depth of good advice on this site!
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 05:38 PM

It is hard to go wrong with ideas as advanced by all.
I remember the first time I was there in 1998 some hiking guide suggested going from Mürren to Grutschalp.

I had sore neck from turning so much to look over my shoulder at the Jungfrau. Next time, I walked towards the main range.

I must admit though for a first time the cable car up from Stechelberg to Gimmelwald is a treat. I was like this beautiful, well behaved Bernese Mountain Dog who once rode up with us.

His owner asked if the dog could look out the window on the Jungfrau side. People were agreeable and the dog took his seat by the window. He was sitting there quietly as the cable car swung out and up.

As soon as the Jungfrau came into view, he started giving out those doggy sounds of ecstasy that dog lovers know so well.
I am sure he was saying: Those are my mountains!!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replys. We will definitly do as Bob suggested and do it in that order. We had also considered going to Gimmelwald but didn't think we would have time. If we do it with Grindelwald first and Murren last, then we will have that option. Bob, you suggested taking the cable car there, but I know it's considered an easy walk. Anyone done that walk?

I know what you mean about the Bernese Mountain dog. One of my all time favorite dogs was a Bernese. It was my best friends dog and she was so well behaved and lovable. I've always wanted one but we are Golden Retriever people and I can't convince the rest of family to change.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 03:28 AM

The trail down the hill from Mürren to Gimmelwald is a little steep and it can be hard on the knees. If depends on how good your legs are at that stage of the day.

I have been through Gimmelwald several times on my way elsewhere like the Kilchbalm, which is a deeply recessed cirque that no longer has a long term ice field that moves. (basic definition of a glacier). There is very little there except a few lodging places, a restaurant, and people's homes.

You can wander out to the alpine pastures from there and see lots of cows. And I know there is at least one cheese making facility, but it is not open to the public.

I think you can find a better place to expend your brake linings -- the menisci in your knees.

For example, as you get back toward Lauterbrunnen on the Post Bus, get off at a stop close to the church and walk through the cemetary and take a good close up look at Staubach Falls. The cemetary is a flower garden as well, and the falls are illuminated in the evening. Then you can catch the next train to Interlaken Ost. Of course starting at 18:50 trains are hourly until the last departure at 22:50.

However, except for the hotels, Lauterbrunnen rolls up the sidewalks about 18:30. Trudy at Trudy's Bazar and Herr Schmocker at the photo place move their post cards inside, and go home.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:08 AM

Isabel should do that Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk. For one, it is easy to do, very little if any, uphill gradients. The vews are spectacular!

The Murren-Grutchalps or the walk the other way around as Bob Suggested is also a nice easy walk that offers tremendous views.

If Isabel does these two hikes, it should not take too much time off their schedule and will offer views that they will remember always!!!

Pray for sun and bring a digital camera to store your memories.

Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sunstar, I'll definitly bring the camera, I don't go anywhere without it, so definitly will get plenty of use in the alps.

Bob - couple of questions about your last suggestion. You say to get off the Post Bus at the "church". Is it obvious where to get off. I mean, is there only one church, will we have enough warning of when to get off? Seeing falls illuminated in the evening sounds great. But since it won't be getting dark till after 9pm or so, will we still have transportation back to Interlaken? How often do the buses run, I've found train schedules on line but not bus schedules. And one last thing, the cemetary/garden you mention, is that by the church and if not, where is it? This sounds like a great way to end the day. Thanks.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:48 PM

There is only one church in Lauterbrunnen.
The falls may not be illuminated when you get there because of the long hours of daylight. The valley is in the shadow when the peaks are in the bright sunlight.

The church is located right in a sharp bend in the road. You can get off at the stop after you pass it and walk back, it is a short distance. You may need to signal the stop. I recall a red button on the post by the rear exit.

The cemetary is near the church. Each plot is a mini flower garden.

The bus is timed to meet the cable car coming down from Gimmelwald. It then goes to Lauterbrunnen via Trommelbach Falls. That is a worthwhile stop.

There is a slight admission charged, but the falls are lighted and there is an elevator to take you up. The falls are deeply recessed in the rock so that from the road they are not visible.

Staubbach Falls on the other hand are right out there in the open where they are readily visible.

Trains leave for Interlaken Ost every half hour at 20 past and 50 past until 18:50. Then the next one is 19:50.

There are three good restaurants in Lauterbrunnen at the hotels. The Silberhorn, the Oberlander, and the Schützen are ones I know. Typical Swiss fare. I know for a fact that at the Oberlander the manager, Ursula Nolan - von Allmen, speaks good English because I have talked with her more than once.

It is a short walk along the main (only) street from the church and the cemetary to the train station.

Your route goes in front of several of the hotels, a sporting goods store, a couple of bakeries, the cheese shop, the meat market, the green grocer, Schmocker's photo store, the post office and some other businesses.

Trudy's Bazar is on your right as you head along the street. She has all kinds of trinkets and items for sale.in English most questions, and if she cannot, her husband, Colin Pearson, can.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:54 PM

There is only one church in Lauterbrunnen. It will be on your left as the bus makes a sharp S curve as it comes into Lauterbrunnen. If you get off at the first stop after you pass the church, it is just a short walk back.
The cemetary is to your left as you face the church; Staubbach Falls are to your right, also near the church.

The falls may not be illuminated when you get there because of the long hours of daylight. The valley is in the shadow when the peaks are in the bright sunlight.

The bus is timed to meet the cable car coming down from Gimmelwald. It will wait for the passengers, and then it goes to Lauterbrunnen via Trommelbach Falls. That is a worthwhile stop.

There is a slight admission charged to view the falls, but the the dark passages are lighted and there is an elevator to take you up. The falls are deeply recessed in the rock so that from the road they are not visible.

Staubbach Falls on the other hand are right out there in the open where they are readily visible.

Trains leave for Interlaken Ost every half hour at 20 past and 50 past until 18:50. Then the next one is 19:50.

There are three good restaurants in Lauterbrunnen at the hotels. The Silberhorn, the Oberlander, and the Schützen are ones I know. Typical Swiss fare. I know for a fact that at the Oberlander the manager, Ursula Nolan - von Allmen, speaks good English because I have talked with her more than once.

It is a short walk along the main (only) street from the church and the cemetary to the train station.

Your route goes in front of several of the hotels, a sporting goods store, a couple of bakeries, the cheese shop, the meat market, the green grocer, Schmocker's photo store, the post office a couple of banks, and some other businesses.

Trudy's Bazar is on your right as you head along the street. She has all kinds of trinkets and items for sale.

I probably will not be able to respond to other questions because I am headed for Lauterbrunnen tomorrow afternoon!
We get there Sunday.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 02:07 PM

>>>I probably will not be able to respond to other questions because I am headed for Lauterbrunnen tomorrow afternoon!
We get there Sunday<<<<

Have a nice trip. Hopefully in late August, I will be back in that area then. I am all booked and ready to rock and roll.

This will be my 10th trip to that area. I have managed to pick up a thing or two along the way.

Have fun. Post a report if you can upon your return!