Reload this Page >

Mannlichen - K. Scheidegg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 12:37 PM
ruth

Could any one tell me how far it is/ or how long it takes to walk, and how flat it is? Ta!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Bob Brown

The high point on the M&auml;nnlichen is 2342 meters while Kleine Scheidegge is 2061 meters above sea level.<BR>That an elevation change of about 921 feet. If you start from the saddle where the gondola station is located, the drop is less, more like 6 to 800 feet.<BR>The distance is between 5 and 4.5 K, depending again on where you begin to measure. It is not much of a challenge to be honest about it.<BR>Sort of pretty, but it can crowded.<BR>The north face of the Eiger is in front of you most of the way down.<BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Ronda

Ruth, I did not take this walk but talked with another couple who did and they thought it was their favorite.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:22 AM
walking

Ruth - going from Mannlichen toward Kleine Scheidegg is a very easy stroll on a (mostly) paved walkway; but really make sure you walk from the Mannlichen station TOWARD the Eiger in the direction of Kleine Scheidegg. This is the best view, plus you can stop at Kleine Scheidegg and eat a K&auml;seschnitte, have a tea, maybe even look up at the famous northface of the Eiger using the telescopes that should still be on the restaurant terraces there. <BR><BR>Otherwise, if you want something more rustic (dirt paths, pastures, cows, chalet huts, trees/forests, and even more stunning panoramas), and are OK with walking downward for about 2 1/2 hrs. (you don't have to be in great condition to walk down, just have relatively good knees...), then start at the Kleine Scheidegg station and walk down to Wengen - it is an absolute pleasure, the soaring Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau peaks on your left, the Lauterbrunnen Valley and other mountains in front, in short some of the best panoramas you will get ANYWHERE... If you're into sports, you can say you've walked near and partly on the Lauberhorn downhill trail, one of the most renowned World Cup ski races. <BR><BR>Afterwards, if you need to get down to Lauterbrunnen, hop on the train; if you need to get to Grindelwald, take the train back up and then down.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Bob Brown

To get to the crest of the M&auml;nnlichen from Grindelwald, take the gondola from Grindelwald Grund. It is a long ride that on a clear day gives a splendid view of the mountains.<BR>If you approach from Wengen, walk through town and look to the right for the Luftseilbahn that rises sharply to the crest of the ridge, about 200 meters north of the gondola station.<BR>After walking down to KS, you can return to Grindelwald via train through Alpiglen or you can take the train to Wengen and Lauterbrunnen where you can change to the conventional train for Grindelwald. Or, alternatively, you can walk easily all the way to Wengen, or take the train at an intermediate stop called Allmend between Wengen and Kleine Scheidegg.<BR><BR>When you get to KS, and I will do the same in about 3 weeks, look and see if the Indian tipee is still there. In 2000 someone had erected a green and while plastic Indian tepee complete with poles and all. I did not expect to find such an edifice in the Swiss Alps. I suppose if Georgia can have a fake Bavarian village in Helen, the Swiss can put up an Indian shelter.<BR><BR>If you return via Lauterbrunnen after 17:00 check the schedules before deciding what you want to go that way. After that time the train connections are not timed well. You can stand around Zweil&uuml;tschinen for an hour or more waiting for the next train, which is not something you really want to do.<BR>It is a little too far to walk.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:02 AM
MJ

The walk down to Wengen from Kleine Scheidegge is incredibly beautiful. It's the image you have of the Heidi Switzerland. It's not strenuous at all. My husband and I still talk about the walk (and it was many trips ago).