Information regarding Sorrento

Mar 8th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Information regarding Sorrento

We will be staying at the Hilton Sorrento Palace in July. Been to other parts of Italy, but not Sorrento and surrounding areas. If you have stayed at this hotel, we need to know the good and the bad. Good restaurants? Excursion tips? Our 16 year old daughter will be with us. We are taking her shopping in Rome prior to taking the train to Sorrento. Any fun spots for teenagers? Any hot local spots (food and entertainment). Any information will be appreciated since this will be a new area for our family.
Mar 9th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Hi - it may help others to post tips if you can tell us a bit more, e.g. how long you'll be there and whether you'll be relying on public transport or will have a car.

My friend & I stayed in Sorrento briefly last April, and enjoyed it. We had one very memorable restaurant experience thanks to Franco from Bellevue Syrene where we stayed - the restaurant was Il Buco (on Via Rampe Marina Piccola) - excellent atmosphere, food & service!

As far as excursions go, obviously you are at the gateway to the amalfi coast drive, so if you can do this - either in your own car if you are renting, via taxi hire, or bus - would highly recommend it, including stops at some of the towns like Amalfi & Positano...and perhaps up the hill to Ravello. Breathtaking views.

A day excursion to Capri is another wonderful idea - I think a 16 y/o girl would be particularly enthralled with it, especially given its glamorous past (and present...I know the nightclub/comedy club Aneme y Coro that we visited in Capri last year was one we later read about Beyonce and Jay-Z visiting...if she's into that!)

Also, I would suggest an excursion to Pompeii...and I do think even a teenager would enjoy that, it really is so fascinating.

My friend who travelled with me is a shop-aholic, and she found many shops to her delight in Sorrento...we also enjoyed the original handbags & jewelry at a particular shop in Anacapri town on Capri (Kon-Tiki, along the walk between the square in Anacapri and Villa San Michele).

Hope that helps...have a wonderful trip!
Mar 9th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Hello:
I certainly appreciate the information regarding Sorrento. Failed to mention we will be there 9 days, using Sorrento as a base to see as much of southern Italy as possible. We will be in Rome for 2 days only as we have been there before. Just stopping there long enough to take advantage of the July sales.
Thank you for the name of the club in Capri. I am confident our 16-year old daughter will enjoy "clubbing." Would be nice to see some celebrities while we are there.
I have read a number of reviews indicating Positano is nicer than Sorrento. I chose Sorrento because of the location and accessible to everything. Since our daughter will be with us, I do not want to be too isolated so she can enjoy the trip, too.
Can you think of any other local places to eat you tried. We have found that the bars, etc., have the best food on the planet.
Thanks again for your response.
Mar 9th, 2005, 08:07 AM

Hi - will add a couple more names of places we visited.

As far as restaurants go, we enjoyed dining at each of our hotels (Bellevue Syrene in Sorrento and Caesar Augustus on Capri), beyond that, we really just stopped wherever was convenient, eg. bistro near the marina in Capri, on the water in Positano, etc. but no other place was quite so memorable as Il Buco. I'm sure others will post more tips for restaurants.

Other nightclubs we visited included Mathilde's (just off the main square - underground - in Sorrento) and the Underground in Anacapri on Capri. We had a blast at both, but def. would advise she not go alone, as those men in Italy are very forward! (which we, of course, enjoyed...as she may too!)
Mar 9th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi: We definitely will not let her go "clubbing" alone. She is a 16-year old blonde beauty, and we saw quite a few Italian boys blowing kisses to her last summer. We just thought it would be fun for her to visit nightlife with us before she goes to college in 2 years. (Can't bear the thought of it).
Did you stay at the Caesar Augustus on Capri? It is so expensive we opted to take a couple of day trips. We did get lucky and go to the Blue Grottoe last year (water was very calm). Our meal on Capri, which was quite good, was included in the cost of the day trip. I have been told the meals are very expensive in all of the restaurants on Capri.
What about shopping? I know our daughter will want to come back with a lot of new clothes for school that will be unique.
Do you think we will be dissatisfied using Sorrento as a base? I wish I could find at least one person who has stayed at the Hilton Sorrento Palace. Even though I have been to their website, I am really unsure of what to expect there.
We are planning to go to Pompei, Capri again, Positano, Ravelo, etc. Can you think of anything that is a must see that I have missed? Thank you for helping me.
Mar 9th, 2005, 08:45 AM

There are so many Italy experts on this board - I am sure some will chime in soon with more advice!

Since we visited Capri in April, we were able to get lower rates for the C-A...otherwise I don't think we would have been able to afford it!

I don't think you will be dissatisfied with Sorrento as a base - especially for the reasons you mention. There are more more shopping & dining options there, and it's a much better jumping off spot for many excursions.

I don't have much more to add, but just in case no one chimes in here with thoughts on the Hilton, if you haven't already, you should check out the reviews on the tripadvisor site: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Campania.html - - the reviews look very good.

Ok, now I will be quiet and let the true italy experts advise you!
Mar 9th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Positano is deluxe. Sorrento is not quite so upscale but very nice. And it's a bigger town than Positano with more to do in town as well as being very well-located for excursions.

I'm sure you will be happy in Sorrento.
Mar 9th, 2005, 02:54 PM

With 9 days available, I would suggest splitting your time between Sorrento and Positano or Sorrento and Capri, although it may already be too late to find hotels for those summer dates.

We visited Sorrento two summers ago with our teenagers, and found that 4 days there was plenty. Sorrento draws large tour bus crowds, mostly from England and the States, and has a much more citified feel than the smaller (and IMO more charming) Amalfi Coast towns or Capri.

We stayed at the Tramontano, which was lovely, and very close to the old town and Piazza Tasso. One day we walked to the Hilton Sorrento Palace, and my memory of it is that it's a pretty long hike from the main areas of Sorrento, and from Marina Grande, which is where the ferries/hydrofoils depart for Capri and Positano.

Some restaurants I'd really recommend in Sorrento are:

Antica Trattoria
Luna ( for amazing pizza and salads at lunch)
and Luna Due for homemade pastas, excellent meats, desserts at dinnertime.

We also stayed in Capri and Positano, which I much preferred to Sorrento. My teenage daughter bought gorgeous handmade sandals in Capri, mostly because they were affordable! Be prepared for some of the most expensive shopping you've ever seen, and hordes of daytrippers from early in the morning until about 6 at night!

Have a great trip!
Mar 15th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for such good information and recommendations about the clubs, shopping, and restaurants. We are counting the days until we leave.
[email protected]
Mar 18th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Weadles-where did your daughter gether sandels in Capri? Any other good shopping suggestions in Sorrento? Has anyone bought Murano glass in Sorrento? I heard it is less expensive than in Venice?