Italian Holidays - what to expect??

Mar 17th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Italian Holidays - what to expect??

We are planning a first-time trip to Italy and just realized that we will be there over 2 national holidays - Independence Day (4/25) and Labor Day (5/1) - we will be in Rome for the first, Venice for the latter - what should we expect?? I know that banks and govt offices will be closed, but what about restaurants/shops/museums?? Will we starve or what????? Any help greatly appreciated - I'm a nervous wreck and airfare is nonrefundable so we are stuck.
Mar 17th, 2005, 08:30 PM

We have been in Italy for those holidays. Restaurants are definitely open and most shops in the tourist areas are open, too. The main thing we noticed was that the trains were crowded because many Italians took most of the week off. Venice was crowded, too, with many Italian day trippers, but you can always find an uncrowded spot in Venice. Just explore parts of the city away from San Marco. Rome is such a large city that we did not really notice it being extra crowded for the holiday. You'll enjoy the nice weather during that time of year.
Mar 17th, 2005, 10:35 PM

I'll also be in Rome on May 1
There's a big annual rock/pop concert in Piazza San Giovanni from what I understand. I plan to just wander around the city like any other day. My only special plan is to buy my train ticket to Rome (arriving 2 days prior) in advance, because - as Sally said - it's a big travel week.
Mar 18th, 2005, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I guess I can unpack those freeze-dried meals!

Sally, did you find the museums in Venice were also closed??
Mar 18th, 2005, 05:46 AM

I was in Venice on 1 May and while many museums were closed, I'm almost certain that the Doges Palace was open (although I'm not sure it was offering tours).

To be safe, that might be a good day to plan to go out to San Georgio Maggiore for the view, and also tour a few other churches - e.g. the Basilica San Marco and Frari church. Enjoy your trip.

Lots of restaurants and at least a few shops open.