Sunday Shopping in Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2003, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be stopping off in Venice on a Sunday from a cruise, so I have limited time to shop. I pulled up a thread that the stores open in the afternoon, but it did not state the time that shops open. Does anyone know what time the shops open on Sundays, as I have a limited time.<BR>
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 10:40 AM

Depends on the shop--most are closed on Sunday. But many are open in the most heavily touristed areas, probably including the area you will be in. Most, but not all, shops will close between 1 and 4, or 1230 and 330. But if it's high tourist season, more will stay open.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 01:29 PM

I have been in Venice last September 2002 and I can tell you for sure that inthe very city centre, in the touristic area the souvenirs shops are always open and usually close around 6 pm. Along the STRADA NUOVA (which connects the Santa Lucia Station to the touristic centre) there are many many shops which are open also on sunday: Upim, Bottega Verde, Mc Donalds, Lush soap shop which sells excellent hand made shops etc...
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

I'm particularly interested in the leather and shoe stores around San Marco. I just hope to have enough time to shop and get back to the ship. Thanks for the help<BR>
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 02:07 PM

There are leather shops around San Marco Square. BEware of the high prices though. San Marco area tends tobe very vey expensive! You can find a good selection of goods around the RIALTO BRIDGE, packed with shops. Venice is considered the most expensive city in Italy (a simple and small sandwich costs about 3$). Usually cruise ships disembark at FONDAMENTA NUOVE, which is the pier on the opposite side of Venice touristic centre (San Marco Square). But the good thing is that from there (FOndamenta Nuove) you can take a ferry boat going to Riva Degli Schiavoni or to San Marco rather than walk all the way through the city.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Batuffolina,<BR><BR>I was in Venice a few years ago and remember that the prices were high. As a matter of fact there was a great shoe store near the Rialto, but when I went back to look at the shoes I would have killed for, the store was closed. I'd love to find it again. Also, I didn't know about the ferry - that is great!! Does it go straight from the pier to San Marco? That would save a lot of time. Thanks so much for the information.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 03:13 PM

I have just checked online about the Fondamenta Nuove pier and it seems that now the cruise lines dont disembark there anymore, but to what i see from 2000 the new pier for big cruise ships is in BACINO MARITTIMA. From what i see there should be a ferry line connecting to Zattere or San Marco ferry stop (these are the two ferry stops that are close to S. Marco Square), but rather than give you a wrong info i should suggest that you ask for info directly at the pier. Venice is always packed with tourists and at the ferry ticket booths the assistants who speak english, give info about how to connect to the touristic centre. Sorry about the incomplete info earlier...
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Batuffolina,<BR><BR>Listen, you've been a great help to me. Now I know that there is ferry, before I didn't have a clue.<BR><BR>Thanks for eveything!!