Capri or Sorrento???

Search

Capri or Sorrento???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capri or Sorrento???

We are cruising and we stop in Naples. We have the option of taking the cruise excursion to the amalfi coast to sorrento but dont stop in positano.
We are trying to decide if we should book through the cruise?

Or is Capri a better place to visit?

Its one or the other?

Thanks so much!!

Old Apr 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM

Capri would be lovely. I don't see how you can visit the Amalfi coast and not include Positano.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 08:52 AM

Sorrento really isn't on the Amalfi coast, but close.

I would spend the day in either Positano or Capri. Sorrento isn't nearly as lovey, IMO - lots of bus tours stay there. Most people on this travel forum who stay in Sorrento do so for convenience of excursions to Pompii, Herculenium, Naples, etc.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 09:12 AM

No doubt in my mind:

The Isle of Capri!
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 09:20 AM

Hi Runmar - Either Positano or Capri - close call ...

(Forget Sorrento ...)

Steve
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 12:21 PM

CAPRI!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't like Sorrento. Too many British tourists poking around looking for fish/chips and tea towels for souvenirs.

Thingorjus
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 06:02 PM

Without a doubt Capri.
Looking into any of these beautiful hotels:
http://www.capripalace.com/en/home
http://www.quisisana.com/en/home

Have never stayed here but I hear this new Hotel is very nice with great sea views.
http://www.jkcapri.com/
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 07:14 PM

my vote goes to capri!
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 07:38 PM

I don't know which cruise line you're going with or where they dock or if you can find that out before hand, but when I was on a Norwegian cruise in 1998, we walked right off the ship and right on to the ferry/hydrofoil to Capri one berth over. It was about 25% of the cost of the ship's "excursion" cost. Do a little research and have a "free" lunch on Capri for what you save.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM

I've never been to Sorrento, but Capri is a must see! It's fantastic-natural beauty with Roman influence.

You will hear a lot about the Blue Grotto. We took this tour 3 years ago, and I seriously wondered whether I'd be maimed/killed.

You meet the tour guide on a little dock in the harbor, and once you're paid, they herd you off into these tiny punt boats. They take you around the cliff and you think how magical this is, when suddenly you realize that the next step is to steer the punt into a very small, cave-like opening in the rocky hillside.

When the waves rise, the opening to the grotto shrinks, and the boat drivers make everyone lay as low as possible in the punts. It's obvious that anyone who works the boats along here recognizes the dangers in trying to enter the grotto.

We ended up throwing ourselves down quickly into the bottom of the boat, crammed up intimately to two people from Japan. None of us were happy with the situation as we lay in the bottom of the boat.

When you actually enter the Grotto, you are in a line of these punts, all waiting for a safe moment to enter as the tide fills the opening with every wave. Sometimes the window of opportunity is about 4 m high; at other times, it's more like 2 m.

When they finally find a wave that they think is good, they finally heave into the Grotto.

The grotto is surreal and beautiful, but my enjoyment was tampered by the worry I had about surviving the experience. It is a bit strange to be in a place with all that land above you, and not able to get out until the tide conditos approve
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:55 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
andrew, you are HERE! I'm deciding what to do with a couple of 'extra' days in Italy and I can't wait to read your posts about Capri...and Italy in general
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:34 AM

Starrs,
We are not in Capri/Positano now.
If want to visit this area for a few days I would stay in Positano and take a ferry to Capri for a day visit. If you have more than 2 nights then try to spend a night in Capri.
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:07 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh, I know that. I meant you were on this thread! I just read about your wife's sandals she bought in Capri. Can't wait to hear Italy stories from the two of you!