Need advice Sorrento or Positano?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Italy in August with our 3 children. We are thinking of spending 2 nights in either Sorrento or Positano and doing side trips from there (like Capri). Which place do you recommend that we station ourselves?
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 05:30 PM

I would recommend Sorrento, you can take the trip to Capri from there, and have many more choices of restarants and hotel, but definately rent a car and drive to Positano and the amalif coast drive, it is the most beautiful drive.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 05:37 PM

My husband and I stayed in Sorrento for several days last July and took several side trips all over. Positano and Capri were our absolute favorites. Gorgeous sights and fun shopping and food and scenery. We liked Amalfi as well.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:59 PM

I agree with Sorrento.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 07:03 PM

Although Sorrento is nice it is VERY touristy...cruise ships stop there and it is packed...Positano on the other hand does not have the same issue as cars can not drive into town...most of the pictures you see advertising the Amalfi coast are of Positano...it is wonderful and you can visit Capri, Sorrento, Amalfi or any other area from there...I prefer it to Sorrento...many nice hotels as well...
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 10:46 PM

We were just in Sorrento and I definitely preferred Sorrento to Positano. I really liked to feel of Sorrento and they definitely have a lot more restaurants and shopping there. There were no cruise ships while we were there so I cannot address that.

One thing I highly recommend is taking the bus. Let the drivers who do this drive on an hourly basis do the driving!! I was told by the locals they have never had an accident. The day we were on the bus we drove past a bad accident.(No buses were involved) Also I WANT THE ADDED PROTECTION OF A BIG BUS for that drive!
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:05 PM

My family stayed in Sorrento and day-tripped to Positano. Sorrento has more of a "there" there. Sorrento has great walks and is a fascinating town and if you rent a car, the coast drive is spectacular if a bit nerve-wracking. We stayed at the Hotel Badia above the town, and enjoyed the relative calm, pool and the views, though it's an uphill climb back to the hotel! Herculaneum was a GREAT trip for my boys, then 6 and 10, as was Paestum. Miles of walking, but you know that! It's too bad you only have 2 days!