Information on Ireland

Search

Information on Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Information on Ireland

I am trying to plan a trip to Ireland in mid-September. I will probably be staying for about a week with lodging accomidations somewhere in Dublin. I was hoping someone could tell me the must see sites as well some fun pubs to go to. Any information would be greatly appreciated since this would be my first trip there.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 12:57 PM

If you type in Ireland or Dublin you will get a wealth of information. Also, go to www.irelandexpert.com-that site is run by Pat Preston and she IS the Ireland Expert! She has a Q&A area and there is lots of information about Ireland in general.
I may be going in mid Sept. too-I'm out of LA where are you going from?
Dublin is a great vibrant city but I'm not an expert on it so I can't help you there-I do believe the Hop on/Hop off bus is a good place to start. Check out the web site I mentioned for lots of information.
Hope this helps.
Shadow
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information....anything helps. After looking at other e-mails it sounds like there is so much to do in Ireland that a week won't be enough. I live in Michigan and going to Ireland has always been a goal of mine. This is my first trip outside of the United States.

Have you been to Dublin before?? I want to see the tourists sights but I also want to really get to know what the people living in Ireland are about.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:47 PM

We spent two days in London and enjoyed the following:

The Book of Kells/Long Room exhibit at Trinity College

The National Museum

The Guinness Brewery

The Jameson Distillery

The Musical Pub Crawl (starts at Oliver St. John Gogarty's Pub)

The Hop on/Hop off tour - try doing this late afternoon fairly early in your trip. You get to rest your weary feet (we did it after museums) and get a good overall feel for the city. The tickets are good for 24 hours - you can scope out what you might want to do on the following day and use the bus in the next morning to get to some of the places that are a bit of a stretch for walking: Guinness such as Phoenix Park.

We stayed at Trinity Lodge and found almost everything we wanted to do within walking distance. Temple Bar area has some interesting places to eat and stay, especially if you don't mind a bit of noise and/or enjoy nightlife.

Have fun!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Trinity Lodge...I was looking into booking a room there. How far along in advance did you have to book the room? Did you find it a good place for the money? Would you recommend it to someone else?

I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a place to stay but I also don't want to stay somewhere I will be disappointed in. I am looking for a clean place that is centralized. I don't need a fancy hotel.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 07:11 PM

I think our double at Trinity Lodge ran around 150 euros per night, which included VAT and a very substantial breakfast. We had a pleasant room - not huge by American standards, but two of us were able to move around comfortably. There was a tv, a desk, a bed, and an armoire, with curtains and bedspreads in good fabrics. The bathroom was great, with a powerful shower and almost instant hot water. The breakfasts were terrific, with fresh fruit, fresh squeezed orange juice, an assortment of breads, cheese, yogurt and cereals all available as a precursor (if you wanted) to a full Irish Breakfast - eggs, tomato, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, white pudding, black pudding, etc.- in any permutation you might like. The people at the desk were kind and helpful and the location can't be beat - you can walk to almost everything except the Guinness Brewery and Phoenix Park (the other side of the Liffey is a longish walk, but doable). Only down side was that is was pretty hot the first night we were there so we had the window open, and it was a bit noisy when the nightclub up the street emptied out around 2 am. Probably wouldn't be a problem in September.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 08:13 PM
cd

I hope you would get a chance to see the West while you are there rather then just the city. The Dingle Peninsula has amazing views!