Reload this Page >

What part of Ireland?

Search

What part of Ireland?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Mary

What part of Ireland?

I just recently got interested in Ireland. I have never traveled out of Texas and are looking into vacationing in Ireland next May/June/July. Which region should I visit? I'm sure you can find beauty throughout Ireland but I am trying to narrow it down to one region. I'm simply looking for beautiful scenenaries. I'm not sure how big Ireland is so I don't know how long it would take to drive from one end to the other end. Your suggestions/comments will be GREATLY appreciated.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Bob C

The Southwest, the counties of Cork and Kerry represent the best of Ireland. Scenic highlihts include the Beara Peninsula for unspoiled scenery and solitude, the Inveragh Peninsula 'Ring of Kerry' and the Dingle Peninsula for gorgeous driving with jagged cliffs and crashing waves.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Liam

If you are traveling to Ireland, you must visit either Dublin or Galway. This is the true urban Ireland.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 01:06 PM
bill

The west...Kerry, etc as the previous poster suggested. Ireland is not a large country. It stays with me that no place in Ireland is more than 80 miles or so from the (a) sea...thus the &quot;mild&quot; climate, the soft days,the rain, the green grass. Dublin has much to offer, the Book of Kells, etc...but the scenery is in the west.Stay with the people of Ireland in their homes (bed and breakfasts) and try to avoid the high tourist season of summer when the buses descend on the villages.<BR>Good luck.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:23 PM
John

Hi Mary,<BR><BR>The good news is that Ireland is smaller than Texas . . . a lot smaller.<BR><BR>I view Ireland as 5 regions:<BR><BR>1. The Southeast - centered around Dublin and points South.<BR>2. The Southwest - centered around Galway and points South.<BR>3. The Central portion.<BR>4. The Northwest - centered around 'Sligo', Donnegal and Fermanaugh<BR>5. The Northeast - from Belfast to Londonderry (Derry)<BR><BR>Most folks would tell you that the Southwest is the premier area of Ireland for scenic diversity and country charm. It also attracts the most tourists - particularly those from the U.S..<BR><BR>If you have 7 - 10 days you cannot go wrong by concentrating your time in this area.<BR><BR>Personally I prefer the Northwest because it has the same attraction as the Southwest - just more of it with less tourists. If you have 11 - 21 days you might consider both.<BR><BR>The Southeast and Northeast are probably &quot;equal&quot; from an attraction point of view - but not nearly what the West is like. Each have a major, well known city. Dublin in the Southeast is a super city (one of my don't miss cities). Belfast in the Northeast on the other hand is more attractive around Belfast rather than in the city.<BR><BR>The central region of Ireland is kind of like going to West Texas (apologies to West Texans) - not really where the attraction is.<BR><BR>If you have more than 21 days don't miss Dublin.<BR><BR>As far as driving in Ireland - it is very different than Texas. There are no straight roads, they are very narrow, and accommodate everything from trucks to tractors. Drive times are 2 to 3 times what you would expect in Texas. Ireland is a place to ssssllllooowwww down, relax, drink in the beauty and enjoy the scenery, people, food, drink and culture.<BR><BR>Hope this helps. Have a great trip. <BR><BR>

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 10:31 PM
buzzee

Hey Girl,<BR>Never been out of Texas? I think Ireland is a great place to pick for your first adventure abroad! Folks are pretty friendly, its easy to get around and the beer and fish are good.<BR>Go in the June time. The days will be long and the weather will be favorable. Buy a good guide book. Check out the websites on Ireland. There are a ton of them.<BR><BR>Stay as long as you can. If you are the athletic type you might want to do a bicycling trip, they aren't that hard and you don't miss as much. <BR><BR>Have a great time. Make sure you send off for your passport in plenty of time to go!<BR><BR>Buzzee

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 04:12 AM
texassucks

Wherever Guiness is brewed would be my choice for a relaxing Irish vacation. Are you sure you are ready to leave Texas? that is so sad that this will be your first time out of that state....you can always check a map to see how large Ireland is. Are you going to the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland? are you even aware that they are two countries?

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Mike

If you are going to be in the Northwest section of Ireland, don't miss Donegal. We loved it up there. Don't forget to get your Donegal Tweed, although I'm sure you can get it throughout Ireland.<BR><BR>If you go up to Galway, you might want to consider a day trip to the Aran Islands. Bought a beautiful hand-knitted vest from one of the locals. She didn't have my size at the time, so she knitted me one and mailed it back to the States for me.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 05:37 AM
sean bhean

Ireland figures on this site so much that it can give you lots of information by putting the word Ireland in the search box above and then go to the places mentioned.<BR>Popular places would be Dingle,Killarney,Blarney,Cashel,<BR>Waterford,Galw ay,Donegal,Connemara,<BR>Dublin to name only a few.You can listen to Irish radio on www.rte.ie,read an Irish newpaper on www.ireland.com and see some beautiful pictures of Ireland on www.irelandofthewelcomes.com.<BR>