COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Ireland/Dublin and ?

Old Jul 9th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Ireland/Dublin and ?

My husband won a trip to Ireland and we are staying at the Ritz Carleton Wicklow near Dublin Sept 20-26. We would like to extend the trip and stay another 6 nights or so. Any suggestions.

We were thinking about possibly Germany since it will be Octoberfest then. Or whether we should just stay in Ireland.

Thanks.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM

"My heart is in Ireland, it's there I long to be.
Her hills and her valleys are calling to me..."

Wow... how lucky are you, winning a free trip!

Please see more of Ireland as it is one of the most beautiful countries in the world!

Rent a car and drive to O'Brien's Tower at the Cliffs of Moher. See some castles and abbys. Drive the Ring of Kerry. Stroll around the charming towns and villages of Ireland. Picnic by some of her beautiful lakes. See the Book of Kells at Trinity College. Kiss the stone at Blarney Castle. Get stuck behind the sheep in traffic! Drink lots of Guiness!

There is so much to see in Ireland, I'd spend my time there instead of going onto another country.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 02:40 PM

When we went to Ireland, we stayed first in Edinburgh which I LOVED!
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Stay in Ireland. Oktoberfest is a zoo, and you can't get decent hotels at a reasonable price anymore anyway. Beer is expensive, tents are crowded silly. Airfare from Dublin to Munich will be high, since half of Ireland gets down here
You will find much more to see than what fits into six extra days, so will definetely not be bored one single day if you stay in Ireland.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 03:42 PM
P_M

There is so much to see in both Ireland and Northern Ireland, you can easily fill up your extra time there and leave with the feeling you haven't seen everything.

joannyc has some great ideas but here's another. I recommend a drive up to Northern Ireland. Spend some time in Belfast. See the Giant's Causeway, it's one of my favorite sites. I don't know if the Rope Bridge is still up in Sept but it is worth seeing too. We enjoyed the Glens of Antrim as well. The drive along the north coast is breathtaking.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 07:25 PM

The Rope Bridge will still be up in September.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 08:58 PM

See the Rock of Cashel....one of my favorite places in Ireland...and Dingle my favorte village in Ireland!! The Dingle coast is spectacular, there is great food and music there as well...lots of do and see.