Reload this Page >

Ireland and Northern Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 10:12 PM
Jim

My wife and I are planning to go to Ireland from Australia in June 2003, as part of 2-month trip to Europe and Mexico. Our first stop will be Ireland. The tentative plan is to fly Sydney to Shannon, stay a few nights in B&B somewhere (Connemara??), then either drive or fly to northern Ireland (Belfast??), stay a few nights, and then either ferry or fly to Glasgow. We would like to learn about Irish and Northern Irish culture, history and the usual tourist must-sees. This is our first visit. I assume that Northern Island is safe. We would welcome any suggestions of things to do and places to stay. I'm sure that this question would have been asked a million times, but I couldn't see much in a search, especially northern Island.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 12:20 AM
Shirley

I tried posting before - but there was a problem with the web site. If you haven't given up on receiving a reply to your questions - here are my thoughts on the subject. 1) You'll love Ireland - Republic and Northern. 2) It isn't difficult to drive in Ireland as there is so little traffic - outside of Dublin. We rented a car, and only had a very few close calls due to mental lapses because of the drive on the opposite side of the road. Take the bus while in Dublin, though, unless you are comfortable driving on the wrong side. We're from California and even the Los Angeles freeways didn't prepare us for Dublin and driving on the left side. 3) B & B's were very prevalent in the Republic of Ireland, but rather scarce in Northern Ireland. All hosts were friendly and very informative. 4) You'll want to see the Belleek factory, a wool factory - Foxmore is a good one, Antrim Castle, the Giant's Causeway and Bangor in Northern Ireland. 5) You will be safe. The locals don't give trouble to the tourists - even on Marching Day. Well, at least they speak to you first to determine if you are local or not and then ask you to leave. 6) It is easy to find information about the Republic of Ireland, much more difficult to research Northern Ireland. I hope these ideas help. 7)The scenery is beautiful, the residents friendly, the food very good, the history incredible, and it's easy to use the ATM. Again, you'll love the place.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Gareth

For Republic of Ireland try<BR>www.ireland.travel.ie<BR><BR>For the North try<BR>www.discovernorthernireland.com/ <BR><BR>you wont have trouble on the roads as they both drive on the left, as in Australia

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Maureen

My father was born in n. Ireland. Derry county to be exact. We were there 2001 in Derry city. Great history experience. Very warm people. We are going there again in April 28th thru May4th staying in Port Stewart, next to portrush. My grandparents and many others on my fathers side were buried there. We found a great hotel there and have already booked it. 6 nights $125 american per night. King bed lg suite, ocean view. They have 6 suites. the rest smaller. They don't show much on N. Ireland and I don't know why. It's a beautiful place with beautiful people. I know because my dad was one of the greatest!! I still have family over there. In Cornwall, England also another beautiful place. We are very excited about going back. We will be visiting Scotland also for the first time. Aberdeen and Edinburgh, the Highlands!! So very excited!!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Ann

There have been a lot of threads with some good detail on Northern Ireland. Try searching again and see what you come up with. Belfast is usually mentioned, so maybe try searching for Belfast. If you still can't find anything, post again, and I'll try to give you some of the highlights.<BR><BR>Just drive to N.I. If you're driving from Shannon to Connemara, it's roughly a 3-4 drive, and then about another 5 or so to the Belfast area.