Notices

Suggestions for untouristy Ireland

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for untouristy Ireland

The hubby and I are looking to spend 7 nights in Ireland at the end of June/early July. We are looking for beautiful scenery, relaxed atmosphere and european charm. We don't feel the need to do the 'touristy' things (unless they TRULY are an absolute must), but really want to experience the charm and beauty of Ireland.
We definitely want to spend at least 1 night in Dublin (family significance.) Also, I don't want to be driving the whole time. Suggestions on itinerary/lodging would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:16 AM

he Anrim coast of Norhern Ireland is lovely and the people are wonderful! Take a look at IslandMagee (yes, one word).
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:42 AM

Especially given your SCREEN NAME, a bit more info would be necessary to give any serious, in-depth advice/recommendations. What are your interests -- hiking, country walks, natural beaty, urban night-life????

In general, though:
Two nights in Dublin would be more advisable, if you are coming in on an international flight. There is a lot to see and do in Dublin and even more, if you were to opt for day-trips to surrounding areas.
If the rural beauty of 'traditional' Ireland is more to your liking, consider flying into Dublin and out of Shannon. Spend the first two days in Dublin and then 'hot foot' it into the West. Dublin is most definitely Ireland, but it is a DIFFERENT Ireland than Killarney, just as touristy Killarney is totally different from some of the 'real' Kerry towns, like Milltown, Rathmore or Castleisland.

NI has much to offer, but again, itwill be yet ANOTHER Ireland that you will experience there.

None of these statements are judgemental. All of the named places are the REAL Ireland, just as LA, NYC, Athens, Georgia, Orlando and Alachua, Florida are all the REAL (but totally diferent) USA. It would help to know WHAT you are looking for.
Bob
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 09:34 AM

I hope I can explain this. Ireland is not a touristy thing country. It is a country of beautiful scenery and lovely people. There are sites more popular then others and get crowded. The places with the best scenery will get more tourist. How about deciding on one or two places and staying a few days in each? People ask me how I could spend 3 weeks in just County Clare. I answer, “ oh so easily, a week in Killaloe , Ennis and the Burren. My very first trip to Ireland, I spent the week down in Kerry in Glenbeigh.

Good luck, Joan
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:36 AM

I would recommend Dublin the first night and then making a Northern loop ending in Shannon, if you've not booked your flights:

2 nights Derry Town
2 nights Westport
1 night Ennis

The North is usually not too over run with tourists and has some breathtaking scenery, great Trad music and delightfully hospitable people. Given the time frame you are traveling within, the Southern regiosn & the West coast will be congested with tourists. You will have longer light hours, which will allow you to travel longer distances, should you so desire, and see more.

Have a most excellent adventure!

Slan Agus Beannacht,

Bit Devine
Cowboy Craic
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 11:26 AM

We are in Donegal and if you take the time simply to meander down the side roads that few find, there is great peace and utter beauty there. We rarely use the main roads... there is plenty of space here.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 11:44 AM

We spent 4 days in the North last summer and had a nice relaxing, scenic time around the Sperrin Mountains-even postponed our "touristy" plans (Giant's Causeway, etc) for another time! One thing to keep in mind-my cousins from around Belfast told me "an Irish mile is twice as long as a regular mile." We found this to be very true off of the "M" roads, but if you're not in a hurry, the scenery is worth it.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Another vote for Northern Ireland here. Growing up we only thought of Belfast as a "bombed" and violent city. In real life it is truly beautiful there! We drove up the coast to the Giant's Causeway which is imho a lifetime must see.