Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any place in Ireland (in early December): Where would you choose to go and why?

Old May 28th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

My son is attending a course in Australia this fall and is flying there via London. He's leaving a few days early on the way there to spend some time in London and said he'd like to spend a few days in Ireland on the way back. I've never been to Ireland, so what a perfect excuse for me to join him!

So, where have you been and based on that, where would you go again and why?

Thanks,
Linda
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

I'm floating this one again. I'd really like some opinions--especially if you think Ireland at that time of the year is ill-advised!

Linda
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 03:32 PM
dln

Linda, why don't you first go to the topic search for Ireland? If you read through the Ireland messages you'll find many things that people liked. See if anything strikes your fancy and take it from there. For example, if you read ten messages and they all comment about Dublin, you could read up on the subject and at least have a factual idea on whether you'd like it too. Then you could post more specific questions, and most likely get some replies.

By the way, my favorite Irish places are Cliffs of Moher, Rock of Cashel, and Dublin.

Old Jun 13th, 2003, 04:37 PM

A "few days" isn't much. It really depends on how much time you actually have and where you plan to fly in and out of. If time is limited and you'll be flying in and out of Dublin, the Wicklow Mountains area is a beautiful place to visit and only an hour or so drive from Dublin.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 06:00 PM
dln

Linda, just take a look at Owen's travel report on Ireland. He's written a pretty marvelous account, which should get you enthused about your upcoming trip.

Old Jun 14th, 2003, 09:16 AM

In order of preference:

1) Malin Head/Inishowen Penisula in Co. Donegal;

2) Mountains of Mourne

3) Wicklow Mountains

4) Belfast
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 02:22 PM
THE

I lived in Dublin for a few years upto 4 years ago and I love Dublin in the pre-Christmas season. You will find lots going on (theatre, concerts, poetry readings etc.), the shops will be full, pubs, cafes and restaurants busy and a general feel-good time. It will rain. It will get dark around 4 and you can try to find all of the pubs and restaurants with fires in the fireplaces. It's also a quiet time to visit museums and galleries...
I wish I was going to be there for a few days myself.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses, it gives me a good place to start. THE, you paint a picture so lovely that the thought of darkness at 4:00 p.m. is enchanting!

Linda
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 06:10 PM
LN

Yes, it does paint a lovely picture. My first thought would have been the beautiful area around Shannon but after reading THE I think I'd prefer to see Dublin during the Christmas spirit. With just a few days one journey to Dublin sounds perfect.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 03:36 AM
Ardfert

A day trip to Newgrange in the Boyne Valley is another good option.Newgrange is old- between 4000 and 5000 years old but they seem to have had good builders in those days.If you hire a car it is little more than half an hour`s drive along the M1 motorway from Dublin Airport turning off at Drogheda.Go to search in google for details.A most unusual place to visit.There are also bus tours from Dublin available.Go early in the day as they can only handle about 1,000 visitors daily so some are turned away.