First Time in Ireland

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:29 PM
W
Original Poster

First Time in Ireland

Hi all,

We will be visiting Ireland for the first time this August for about five days. We will be staying in Dublin and would like to take day trips from Dublin by tour buses or trains to places that are worth visiting for first-timers. Where would you recommend? We would also appreciate recommendations on Dublin hotels and restaurants. Thank you!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:44 PM

Hello W. I'm also planning a trip to Ireland. Siobahn and Cailin have proved invaluable, especially regarding Dublin accommodation. If you do a search on their names you should get loads of useful information.
Good luck
Lisa.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:02 PM

Hi W,
We are also planning our first trip. I used a friend's hairdresser from Dublin as a resource and she suggested that a fantastic day trip is to Powerscourt, which is south of the city. It is a mansion and gardens that is spectacular. I think it is the #44 bus that takes you there. We will be doing it in early September for sure.

Have a great trip.
Alisonh
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 09:42 PM

Try this:
http://www.irishrail.ie/breaks_and_trips/railTours.asp

Train/bus day trips to all sorts of places in Ireland.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:16 AM

Powerscourt is a good suggestion. Also, a day in the Wicklow Mountains. If you like hiking, use the Wicklow Way. Glendalough is also worth a look (could combine it with the Wicklows, since you're pretty much there anyway).

I also would recommend Newgrange.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 03:16 AM

There are bus trips to several places the most popular are:

Glendolough - some tours are combined with a trip to Avoca town

Powerscourt town house and Gardens with a side trip to the waterfall

Malahide Castle

Newgrange

What types of restaurants and in what price range are you loooking for and I will post some more.

S

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 12:57 AM
W
Original Poster

As long as the food is good and not outrageously expensive, we'll be willing to try any type of restaurant(especially Irish cuisine). Have you tried any of the Fodor's Choice restaurants listed on this site?

As for hotels, we're looking for a relatively new or recently renovated hotel (3 or 4 stars) that's centrally located.

Thank you for your info!!
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 01:56 AM

I am unsure on your price range but these are central
Davenport
Montclare
Alexander
(All three above are by Merrion Square)

Drury Court Hotel (Off Grafton Street)

Jurys ChristChurch or Ballsbridge
Check pout the website for the westin Hotel or the Fitzwilliam as they can have deals and they are smack in the missle of everything while being quiet to stay in.

I looked at the Fodors Reccommended restaurants. I made some comments on some last year and here are my picks.

Browns - meant to be excellent and they also do an upmarket B&B on St Stephens green

Peploes St Stephens green - meant to the the Irish "Ivy". Grat wines by the glass.

Chapter one - Have not eaten but always rated highest in Dublin.

Eden- Go for lunch and sit outside - you will see the buzz of the market on a Sat.

Elephant and Castle - casual has been around years and famous for their chicken wings

Harbour Master fun oin a nice day for drinks outside. Big afterwork crowd

Il Primo- Used to have more atmosphere when you could sit at the hightables downstairs. Ower is german and mad about ewine. Its pricey and the wine can get expensive but the food is good italian. Its a once a year treat.

Jaipur - Modern Indian in a lovely setting. One fodorite ate here New Years and loved it.

Lemon Crepe and coffee Co. Good for breakfast, crepes or a coffee. Just off Grafton Street

Freres Jacques and Locks are in the most expensive restaurant category. You can blow the bank here. Frere Jacques is supposedly the best French Food in Dublin. I am waiting to eat here!

Milano - Cheap and cheerful and great for lunch or a light dinner. They are located in Temple Bar, IFSC, and Dame street wwhich is my favourite location.

Nancy Hands/Ryans - Parkgate Street. Both pubs have excellent restaurants upstairs. This is not pub grub but good food.

Nude - Organic soups and sambos/panninis. Geat smoothies. Wheatgrass shots for all you health nuts! AT the bottom end of Grafton Street.

Patricvk Guilbaul - Michelin Star...what can I say. Haven;t eaten but I had cakes made from the restaurant a while back...heaven!

Shanahans - Haven't eaten here but never gets a bad review. American style steaks. Angus beef. Huge portions and huge prices...I can't wait to go here! The basement bar is called the Oval Office and has JFK's Ricking chair and some memorabilia.

Soup Dragon - Worth finding- best homemade soup in Dublin. Small cafe serves various soups with homemade bread and a piece of fruit you can take with you. Seats 10 but they do take away.

Wagamamma - a favourite for noodles/asian food. Geat value and fun place. Food comes out when ready not in the order it should so its hot and fresh. My partner swears by the Chilli beef ramen.

Now my other picks - Bar Italia Quartier Bloom on the Quays.

NY Style Pizza Slices - Beside Eamon Dorans in Temple Bar is a Pizzeria that sells slices like in NY

Thai - Baan Thai - Ballsbridge - not the cheapest but great food

Indian - Threre are several most people like Shalimar on Georges Street. They have set Menus

Cafe/Bar/Deli - Excellent pasta, salads, pizza no reservations. I love the gorgonzola Rigatoni! Very reasonable and good quality food.

Spanish - Havana - Off Camden Street - real tapas and sometimes dancing in this tiny place at the weekends.

Kebabs - (Yuck!) my other half loves Iskanders on Dame Street

Coffee and chill out - Any Butlers Chocolate Cafe as they give you a piece of chocolate of your choice with any coffee/tea served.

Best strong coffee - Silk Road Cafe - Chester Beatty Library. Great lunch as well. Its med/arab/greek type food. Lots of Veggie options and people rave about the mild chicken curry. I love the huge salad plates.

Best Cakes and coffee - Queen of Tarts Dame street across from Dublin Castle ish. Beautiful tarts and cakes. Tiny place.

Best snacking - Saturday go to the Meeting house Square in Temple Bar. There is a farmers market and you can nibble on waffles, crepes, Potato cxakes, quiche slices and fresh oysters. Great vibe and great supplies for a picnic.

Enjoy

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 05:42 AM

I would also recommend the Gotham Cafe on South Anne Street, off Grafton Street. Great and different Pizzas, pastas and other specials, very reasonable for Dublin and always busy, if you haven't booked you can go on a wait list and have a pint in Kehoes next door and they'll come and get you.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 06:13 AM

Good one too. I haven't been in a while. It was our hangover brunch/lunh place on sundays and hit the spot.

Also Cafe Jave for coffee, sandwiches and salads on the same side of the street is good.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 09:14 AM

Siobhan, you mentioned one Thai restaurant. Do you know if they happen to have Drunken Noodles? It seems to be an American Thai dish. Can't get it in Northern Ireland, and I've also looked in London.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 01:23 AM

I have never heard of it..how funny! I don't recall it from the restaurants in NY/NJ either. Then again I don't see the Thai Iced Tea over here that we got in NY. What are drunken noodles??

Baan Thai seems pretty authentic compared to some others it's in Ballsbridge Beside Paddy Cullens Pub acropss from the RDS. Also there is a place called Thai Orchid (Haven't tried it yet) on Westmoreland street.

The Chili club is off south Anne street and a bit more pricey and posher. I usually go to a local place in Dublin for takeaway but it is no where as nice as what I had in the U.S.