Search

no reservations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no reservations

Iam arriving in Paris on Sept 23, from London via the bus. How are my chances of finding a inexpensive (under $80.00) hotel, without a reservation. Are there less expensive hotels around, that are not shown on the internet?
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 07:28 PM
rex

Your chances are 2-10 times better, searching here, there and everywhere on the internet. You have nearly two months. Or would you rather spend hours and hours combing through picked over choices at places who have no reason to offer you a good price? Being at wit's end to find a place - - that's no way to bargain hunt!

Try http://www.eurocheapo.com/paris/

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 07:41 PM

Not only will you expend a considerable amount of energy and time looking for a room, you will be forced to choose from the leftovers that were not selected by those that already have rooms. These rooms often are in undesirable locations and you may lose even more time commuting in from outside the city center or walking a long distance to the nearest Metro/RER station.

Book ahead.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 08:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would suggest you at least narrow it down to a certain part of the city. Paris is HUGE!! It's not like you will easily wander around and just happen to find a great, cheap hotel (well I guess it *could* happen, under the anything's possible philosophy!)

Generally speaking more of the less expensive hotels are located in the outer arrondisements. I am sure there are some not offered on the internet. Check guidebooks such as Lonely Planet, Let's Go, Rough Guide for some ideas.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 09:26 PM

If you know for sure the date(s) you'll be in Paris, why would you want to NOT have a reserved room? It seems like there are so many more interesting things to do with my time than wandering from hotel to hotel looking for a room, any room, let alone a "less expensive" one.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 11:47 PM
ira

Hi

Go to http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34435217

at the bottom of the report is a hotel in the 2nd for 46E that got a very good review.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:00 AM

Perhaps you aren't aware, but September is the busiest hotel season in Paris. It is extremely difficult to find an empty room with no planning. However, I know that is true for medium-priced hotels (2-3*) and probably higher, also, but I have no idea what it would be like for 1* hotels. It is busy due to so many conventions, business trips, etc, and those people probably stay at higher level hotels. So, if you want real cheap, they may be around. They are on the internet, though, to some degree (ie, www.eurocheapo.com, www.123france.com, www.france-hotel-guice.com have some at that level). There just aren't as many at that price and a lot of those won't advertise at all or have any web site. Some of the guidebooks suggested above are a good idea, also.

I agree with others, as you know exactly when you are arriving and your price range, why won't you reserve a room? YOu will save time that way and probably get something in a better location. If you don't do that, go to the Tourist Office at 27 ave Champs-Elysees and they'll help you. You may end up in the suburbs.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, you've made me see the light!!. One more question, is there anyway to print your responces. I need to send them to my traveling companion, she doesnt have a computer.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 02:19 PM

You can click on your printer icon on the top of your screen

Or you can right-click on select "print"

Or you can copy and paste to a word document and then print.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, the right click work