"Run of the House?" (NYC-Excelsior Hotel)

Old Feb 7th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Run of the House?" (NYC-Excelsior Hotel)

I am having to search very hard to find a negative comment on the web about the Excelsior Hotel in New York, and decided that is where we would like to stay for our upcoming trip.

There are some great deals on sites like LowestFares.com and Expedia, but all post that the flight/hotel combos for the Excelsior is "run of the house" and defines that as "one Queen or a double bed".

I am uncertain what run of the house means, and if this means that we may not be able to request 2 doubles, even for an extra charge.

Thank you in advance for any and all feedback.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 04:20 AM

We recently made a reservation through Utell for a hotel in Paris and selected the "run of the house" rate. It was explained to me that you would get the best room available upon check in. I'm sure it doesn't mean their expensive suites and who knows what the best will be when we arrive, but we were able to specify requests (bed size, upper floor, etc.) which we were told the hotel will try to provide. After you book the hotel with Expedia, you could call the hotel directly and see if you can have your requests documented on your reservation.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 04:33 AM

Some NYC hotels don't even HAVE rooms with two double beds; call the hotel first to make sure this arrangement is even possible.

You should also check directly wiht hte hotel and possibly also with Expedia to see what they mean by "run of the house." Definitions of "Run of the house" vary a LOT, but usually mean whatever's available when you check in, so you really can't make special requests in advance. You are taking a chance on getting a big upgrade (see Marianna's "best room available" concept) but this also means they're only guaranteeing you a basic room.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:47 AM

Typically run of the house means the hotel gives you any room they chose - and does not allow for any special requests like bed configuration or non smoking. And many New York hotel rooms have either 1 large bed or 2 twins. If you need two double beds you have to be very sure the hotel even offers this option and what the price differential would be versus a regular room.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 08:34 AM

cablegirl...At this particular hotel, "Run of the House" means a room with one bed.If you book it online thru one of the sites you mention,you can request a room with 2 beds.About 30% maybe more of the Excelsior's rooms have 2 beds.If you book the ROH room, and they have a 2 bedded room available when you check in,the charge to upgrade to the 2 bedded room is $20 per night.BUT, it is based solely upon availability upon check in.Hope this helps and enjoy your stay....
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:25 AM

It's also a function of view, which equals desirability. I noted that seven of the 16 rooms per floor at the Excelsior face south onto the AMNH and Theodore Roosevelt Park; five of the rooms face north and, above the fifth floor anyway, have a view of the upper reaches of Manhattan.

That leaves four rooms per floor that look into... nothing; just gray air shafts or a brick wall. It is my experience that those are usually the rooms that are described as "run of the house."
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 08:01 AM
GoTravel

Run of the House means whatever is left.

The guest who booked and paid for a preference get assigned that and then what is left over goes to ROTH.

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

Great and helpful info.

I am especially grateful to Neal for breaking down what to expect from the Excelsior!

Thanks everyone!