Inexpensive hotels needed

Feb 14th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

Inexpensive hotels needed

I am trying to find a nice caldera view hotel in Santorini to go on holidays with my wife. We never went on our honeymoon so I feel like I owe her that. Unfortunately the hotels seem very expensive, would anyone have any suggestions for a nice hotel with a nice view in any location in Santorini which isn’t ridiculously expensive? I was thinking of spending € 150 per night and we will be the 7-13 September 2011.
Feb 14th, 2011, 03:16 AM

www.greecetravel.com best insider info for you...

Caldera views not too cheap might be flexible or pay more

Happy Hunting,
Feb 14th, 2011, 03:19 AM

Best prices views I have found for budget here

www.santorini.com/hotels/steliosrooms

but www.booking.com good site to book with reviews

if you want more upscale...
Feb 14th, 2011, 03:23 AM

You might need to rethink your budget for Santorini. Nice hotels with Calderra views aren't cheap. We stayed at Hotel Loucas (which I wouldn't particularly recommend) which has amazing views and pretty basic rooms. The price for when you are going is €190.

Also, do you really mean that you are staying on Santorini for 7 nights? You might be better to mix it up a little and visit another island while you are in the area.

It's gorgeous though so I hope you love it.
Feb 14th, 2011, 03:38 AM

Qwovadis, have you ever stayed at Stelios Rooms? A poor choice for someone trying to make up for not going to Santorini on their honeymoon, to say the least! I have stayed there and can speak from personal experience.

As for the Matt Barrett website being "best insider info", well, that's simply absurd! Can you actually give us the benefit of your personal experience? ;-)
Feb 14th, 2011, 05:27 AM

Look at Firostephani, hotels with lovely caldera views with more reasonable rates than Oia. Top pick for u: Villa Ilias, which is on the border between Firostephani and Fira Town... views, a small pool, good reviews.http://www.santoriniweb.com/Villa-Ilias-Hotel.htm Note: do NOT book a "standard room" at pool level, but ask about Superior room, on level above, with pvt balcony. -= from €145-165. Your dates cross the rate-change date of Sept 10-- if you book 7 nights you might get the lower rate for entire time... but like others, I suggest you might want to do 4 nights Santorini, 3 nights another island, Santorini is only 18 khm long.

You could easily spend 3 nights in a chaming Paros hotel for less than €100, or 3 nights in a nice affordable Athens Hotel like Airotel Parthenon, also for €100 or less in September (if you book thru an internet booking agency) , and see some of the classic world-famous landmarks on your way back home.

Back to Santorini and Firostephani -- if you don't care about a pool, Check Blue Dolphins, Sunset Hotel, Vallas Apts (sunset rooms), Hotel Mylos (its "exclusive room" top floor with pvt balcony is €123 for your dates).

Advantage of FIrostephani is that it's quiet at night but has 4-5 v. nice places to eat, and is only a 15-minute walk to the night-time fun of Fira Town, along the rimside path, or an even easier, flatter flagstone path paralleling the main road. Best of both worlds.
Feb 14th, 2011, 07:17 AM

There are some decent places in Oia that will come in under budget, or right at your budget. Look at Delfini villas, Aris Caves, and Strogili villas.
Feb 14th, 2011, 08:48 AM

Have you looked at Hotel Caldera Butterfly. It is about 4km from Fira towards the ferry port. I have never stayed there so cannot recommend it other than to say,I have been intrigued by it's website. It looks very nice, is below your price range, appears to have great Caldera views and will be very quiet at night for sleeping.
Downside would be that will need to take a taxi or the bus to get to Fira. If you do not want the buzz of being close to Fira town then this could be an option.
Feb 14th, 2011, 09:44 AM

The least expensive accomodations with a view in Oia for €150 or less are Stelios Rooms, Thea Studios, Aspa Villas (top floor studio), Delfini Hotel, Onar Villas, Filotera Villas, Lauda Hotel (book by phone only), Old Oia Houses, Casa Sofia, Villa Kallisti, Oia Waves, Fotinos Houses and Lucky Homes.
Feb 14th, 2011, 01:01 PM

We stayed at Old Oia Houses last year and had a wonderful caldera view for around €100+ in high summer. The houses lower down had more privacy, we didnt go with the crowds to see the sunset as the views of the caldera were spectacular and the colours of the caldera as the sun went down were stunning.
Feb 14th, 2011, 11:26 PM

Here is a list of 3-star hotels in Santorini. Most of them are affordable for you and they have a view to the caldera http://www.santorini-hotels.info/san...apartments.asp . I have not experienced accommodation at any of them; actually I have booked a more expensive hotel but I believe that this can add some further alternatives for you. I am also planning to spend a lot of days in Santorini yet after having read the advice given to you by travel experts, I have started making second thoughts on it… Initially, I was thinking of spending at least 4 mornings at the beaches and then 2 evenings in Fira, 1 evening in Oia, 1 evening for a caldera sunset cruise, 1 day driving to Akrotiri and exploring the south side of the island and one evening on a hiking route from Imerovigli to Oia. I mean that it seems that if you are interested in being active, you have a lot of things to do even on a small island (i.e. visiting a winery, a morning volcano cruise).