Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

long-term apartment/pension stay in Brussels for college intern

Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

My sister will be interning at the EU in the Fall and her housing fell through. I need suggestions urgently about possible options. I don't want her staying in a random hostel until she can actually hit the pavement in person to explore apartments, yet realize that she faces competition with regular college students in finding a place to stay for Sept - December. I could really use any help in identifying a pension or apartment for business/university visitors on a fixed budget. Please give me your best thinking as she is pretty nervous about not having a place to stay, and I as her big sister, am too! Many thanks. j
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:16 PM

A friend of mine here in Brussels lives in a serviced apartment in a well-located residence near Place Stéphanie /avenue Louise. She is very happy with her accommodation - originally she planned to stay there just for a month or two while she found her feet, but she's ended up staying there for the past two years! If you like, I could ask for the contact details of the residence.

Apart from that, I'd just like to reassure you and your sister that rental accommodation is extremely easy to find in Brussels and there are plenty of options available, although short-term rentals might be a little harder to come by than the standard long-term lease which has a set term of 3 or 9 years.
Also, from what I've heard, the network for EU interns is extremely supportive and helpful, so I don't think she needs to be too nervous.
Another very useful resource is the Q&A forum on the www.xpats.com website (a site designed for Brussels or Belgium-based ex-pats), where you can ask any question you like about ex-pat life in Belgium. It gets a lot of a traffic and few questions go unanswered! http://www.xpats.com/cgi-bin/interactive/qa.cgi
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:21 AM

This is the website for the serviced apartments I mentioned. The company actually has a number of residences in Brussels.

http://www.aedifica-furnished-apartm...en/accueil.php

Aug 24th, 2007, 06:05 AM

Where exactly is she "interning" - as that makes a difference. Also what is her budget?

Is she willing to share a house or does she want an apartment. Is she willing to take a studio?

There is lots of accomodation here in Brussels for every budget. However the "serviced apartments" are generally quite expensive.

Let me have the details and I can help.

In the meantime, you can check out some apartment rentals on

www.vlan.be
www.immoweb.be
www.eurorent.com
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:54 AM

Ask you question on the ExPat classified ads. Maybe someone there will be able to help.
http://www.xpats.com/cgi-bin/classif...pats_clads.cgi
Aug 25th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

I want to express a BIG THANKS to the three of you who responded so quickly to our urgent question re: housing in Brussels. It's a relief to have these leads, some of which she hadn't been given in her initial search.

For Lawchick - Thanks for your quick response. My sister will be an intern for the EP, for one of the Scottish members (not EU, my bad -- but I don't know where the specific building is). Her budget is about 300 to 400 EUR/month for a studio. I'm sure she can share a room in a house as long as it's close to the city centre. Do you know of any?

We checked out the websites you recommended and found some possibilities on <vlan.be>. Thanks for the tip. I hope she can land a studio or house for these fall months.

For Hanl -- Thanks for the tips. The serviced apartments look quite nice for an intern! We will be checking out the Q&A on xpat.com. Many thanks.
Aug 27th, 2007, 02:02 AM

That much money is very low. It will be difficult to find something decent...particularly if you need something furnished which I presume you do.

I would start contacting ads in the VLAN etc. asap.

Check back here regarding location etc as some studios rented to stagiaires are not in the best places.
Aug 27th, 2007, 02:12 AM

By the way, you should be looking in Communes (postcodes) 1000, 1040 and 1050
Aug 27th, 2007, 02:35 AM

Hello,
The EP is part of the EU
I assume your daughter will be working at the main European Parliament building, near Place Luxembourg. Plenty of buses stop there, along with some suburban trains. It's not too far a walk from the metro either. So all in all, quite easily accessible, especially if you focus your search on the postcodes Lawchick mentioned. Ixelles (1050) would be my choice.
Aug 27th, 2007, 03:23 AM

You might also want to try this website: http://www.kitkot.be/fr/kot
which is geared towards student-type accommodation (rooms, shared flats, studios, etc.)

(A kot is the word they use here for a student room/flat)
Aug 27th, 2007, 06:03 AM

http://www.voy.com/53105/
http://www.expatriates.com/classifie...singavailable/

Here are two more sites I got from one of my stagiaires. She says she shares a nice house for 515 euros - there are rooms available there.
Feb 15th, 2011, 04:35 AM
ETR

We have a residence dedicated to the accommodation of interns and young professionals! just check our website for more info www.etr-brussels.be