Inexpensive hotels in Rome

Aug 5th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Inexpensive hotels in Rome

We are taking our first trip to Rome this September and are looking for an inexpensive but clean and quiet hotel. I have combed through travel books and have a few quotes but am still a little leary and would like some personal feedback on the hotels below or any others that you have experienced. Thank you very, very much!!

Hotel de Artistes
Hotel Fiamma
Hotel Italia
Hotel Navano
Hotel Parlemento
Hotel Parione
Hotel Sant'Angelo
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:50 AM

I stayed at the hotel in Parione last year and was very very satisfied. Reasonable prices, excellent location, very clean modern rooms; my only complaint is that the area is fairly active and there can be some street noise.

It is a far, long walk to the Spanish Steps/Piazza de Popolo area, and to the Vatican, but we were able to do both of them and enjoy the walk. But it's a convenient walk to the Forum, Trastevere, Campo dei Fiori, Piazza Navona and the Pantheon.

We are going back to Rome for New Years and I have been investigating other options; so far nothing compares to the in Parione for best combination of cost/location.

I dont know the other places on your list but I do know that the Hotel des Artistes is by the train station, which is an ugly area and is not close to anything. There are tons of reasonably priced hotels over there, so obviously it's possible to enjoy Rome while staying there, but you're way far away from anything good.

Carrie
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:53 AM

I suspect that some of the hotel names are misspelled:

Hotel des Artistes
Hotel Navona (?)
Hotel Parlamento
Hotel in Parione

I've seen mentions here of the Hotel des Artistes, the Hotel Italia, the Hotel Parlamento and the Hotel in Parione. If you put the names, one by one, in the Search Box, quite a few threads should come up for each.

You can also look up reviews at www.tripadvisor.com.
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:01 AM

The Hotel Florida is near the Vatican (about a five minute walk), well priced, with spotless and smokefree rooms that are far nicer than the price would suggest. Although it is on a busy avenue, the rooms facing the inside are very quiet. Being near the Vatican means that it is a pretty good walk to other tourist sites but there is a major bus station within a five minute walk where a number of routes converge. Eurocheapo.com has a picture that is accurate - in fact I think it is the room where we stayed.
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:39 AM

Molson-since you are leaving next month for Rome, I'm afraid the pickings are getting quick slim in the budget category-it's amazing to me the rate change between August and September -literally, rooms have gone up in over half the hotels I've looked at by $120.00 dollars between the two months, many more than that.

You might want to go look on www.laterooms.com-I've had some luck with that website recently.
Aug 5th, 2006, 10:35 AM

I stayed at the Italia and was very satisfied. The staff was quite helpful!
Aug 5th, 2006, 11:57 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Beverly Hills in Rome.
It was with a package plan and the other people stayed at the Jolly
Both were good in location for walking, local resturants, and a local market and downtown area. A lot of Rome can be walked once you get the hang of it. Otherwise we took the bus which was 2 blocks away. We stayed in Rome 7 days. This hotel felt very safe and clean with a great breakfast.
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Molson, I don't know when in Sept. you're going - we'll be there the very beginning of Oct. Hotel Parione was sold out for this trip. We stayed there last Sept. and it was very nice, small, terrific location . . . but this time, we're staying at Hotel Pomezia (booked through romeby.com). It is on the same street as Hotel Parione and the cost is comparable. You might try Hotel Pomezia.
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:39 PM

I don't know the hotels on your list, and I didn't check the price range, but I had a nice experience with Hotel Gea di Vulcano a few months ago. I don't mind giving them another plug:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34798561
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:57 PM

Hi molson49! I just got back from my first trip to Rome and loved where my family stayed. You mentioned Hotel Navona, well, they also have the Residenza Zanardelli...check out the site!http://www.hotelnavona.com/English/Zanardelli.htm
It was very clean and comfortable with a nice staff and a free morning breakfast. Best of all is the location! Piazza Navona is so much fun at night, and it is in the middle of all the other things we did on our trip. Have fun!
-megm1004
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:22 AM

Hi molson49

We stayed at Hotel Parlamento 2 years ago. The location is excellent and the hotel is very clean and comfortable. We booked months in advance and got one of the rooms that opens onto the rooftop terrace which was wonderful as we enjoyed our drinks and breakfasts there.

The staff is very pleasant and accommodating. I am surprised there are rooms available as I know they book up very far in advance so if there is something available I would grab it.

Have a great trip.
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:28 AM

In October I will be staying here for 4 nights:
http://www.hotelarenula.com/
It's wonderfully located and normally gets great reviews online from guests. It's also recommended by Rough Guides and Frommers, I think.