Hallstatt

Aug 5th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Hallstatt

How far is Hallstatt by car from Salzburg?
In the past couple of days I am hearing more and more and I think I may want to stop there. I will be in Salzburg for two or three days in the middle of Oct and have just started to look into things to do in the area.
I have been working on the German part of our trip.
I didn't want to jump on BTilke post which had great information.
Thanks for your help,
Laura
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:08 AM
ira

Hi LV,

See www.viamichelin.com and www.mappy.com

Aug 5th, 2006, 05:48 PM

Hallstatt is definitely worth a stop. We've been there 5 or 6 times, and always look forward to going back. We've always been in May but would love to be there in fall or even in winter with all the beautiful snow (as long as I didn't have to drive in it!).

If you go, be sure to go to the Hallstatt Museum. It's truly a fascinating look at the oldest continually inhabited village in Europe. (Ask for the English info sheet they have when you get your ticket.)
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:28 PM

Going by autobahn (quite scenic) it is about 75 km; Salzburg A- 10 to Golling, B-162 to Gosau (lake there is worth a stop), B-166/B-145 to Hallstatt.

Return: Hallstatt - Bad Ischl (B-145) - Wolfgang See (lake)- Salzburg on the B-158 (75km)

It's an easy one day round trip.
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:28 PM

The drive from Salzburg to Hallstatt is only 40 miles or so and takes an hour. Certainly worth the effort.

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, will add Hallstatt to the list.
Laura
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:32 AM

As previous poster said, it's about an hour from Salzburg, an easy drive, and well worth it. Four of us were there in July, and when we individually listed our five favorite things from a trip to Prague, Vienna, and Salzburg (a family tradition on the plane home!), everybody had written down Hallstatt. It's just beautiful. The younger two toured the salt mine, while we older two just wandered around town and sat on various park benches enjoying the gorgeous scenery.