Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to order a Turkey-Cappadocia or Ephesus for appetizer or entree?

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help finalizing our itinerary for a trip to Turkey in late Sept./early Oct. 2003:<BR><BR>SELCUK-EPHESUS 3 nights<BR><BR>CAPPADOCIA 4 nights<BR><BR>ISTANBUL 3-4 nights (we stayed in Sultanahmet in 1998 &amp; adored it)<BR><BR>What is the most practical order for visiting these places? We're travelling with small kids (ages 1 &amp; 5) so we need to use our time efficiently.<BR><BR>Is it best to fly straight to Ephesus for the appetizer, then fly to Cappadocia for the main dish &amp; fly to Istanbul for last, as the dessert?<BR><BR>Also, has anyone stayed at any of these hotels in Cappadocia: Elkep Evi, Kemerli Ev, or Yunak Evleri. I have already read lots of info on Esbelli Evi.<BR><BR>Thanks for your help! I can't wait to finally get back to Turkey!!!!
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 11:24 PM

Gypsy ...watching this post with great interest, we are currently planning to take our children (10,10,13) to Turkey at the same time.<BR>Current plan is Istanbul,Antalya,Marmaris,Pammukale,Gallipoli,Ista nbul,Cappadocia...some fly some drive !
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 02:24 AM

Topping this.<BR><BR>Your itinerary sounds right, leaving Istanbul for last. I'll argue for Cappadocia first, since you will be there longer and have a bit more time for jet lag. And I think your Ephesus visit might involve more local travel, so it might be easier to go to Cappadocia first. Just some thoughts.<BR><BR>In Istanbul, in the Sultanahmet area, I'll suggest staying at the Ayasofia Pansionylari (spelling is probably not correct). These lodgings are behind the Aya Sofia. They were town homes used by bigwigs in the Ottoman government and are built up against the walls of the palace.<BR><BR>Marko, you might consider substituting Bodrum or Ephesus for Marmaris.<BR>
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:52 AM

GYPSYAHEART,<BR><BR>If you are going to Turkey from Europe, there are some airplane to Bodrum so You may start from Ephesus (Bodrum to Ephesus takes two and a half hours to drive or you may stop overnight in Bodrum) then fly to Cappadocia from Izmir (From Kusadasi to Izmir takes an hour) after Cappadocia you can fly to Istanbul from Kayseri or Nevsehir. Hotel in Cappadocia If I were you I would stay in YUNAKEVLERi.<BR>To stay in Selcuk 2 night is enough. You may add this 1 day to Istanbul instead of Selcuk.<BR><BR>Have a nice trip in Turkey<BR><BR>Sinan Akdeniz<BR>[email protected]
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 02:43 PM

Is it true that internal air flights in Turkey involve flying thru Istanbul ?? ie to go from Antalya to Cappodocia you fly thru Istanbul..no direct flight ?
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 02:58 PM

Well thought 4 days for Cappadocia...<BR>All the hotels you mention here er fine ones. I don't know personally the Kemerli Ev however they are also different on the daily rates. Yunak is more sophisticated within your choice. Urgup House is nice too. or you can check some recommended hotels on www.johansens.com too.<BR><BR>I agree with other posters to fly to Cappadocia first. Than fly or drive to Ephesus depending on the scedule. Flying seems easier with kids.<BR><BR>We look forward welcoming you in Turkey.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 06:02 AM

www.turkishairlines.com for schedules but last year when we went it was true that you had to go back through Istanbul to get from Antalya to Cappadocia (Kayseri). We ended up driving between the two which didn't save any time but we stopped in Konya on the way and stayed in Side
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 10:01 AM

Hi.You can start either from Istanbul or from Cappadocia.But I can highly recommend you to start from Cappadocia.You had better fly from Istanbul to Kayseri,then drive to Cappadocia(nearly 1 hour).3 days will be enough to visit all area.The places I can recommend are Urgup Evi &amp; Esbelli House.Then you can drive to Selcuk.But it's really long way.Or you can fly to Izmir,then drive to Kusadasi(1 hour drive).But if you drive to Selcuk from Cappadocia,you can have the chance to stop&amp; see Cotton Castle(Pamukkale).You will need 1 night to accommodate.2 or 3 days will be good to visit Ephesus and environment.After that,you can either fly or drive to Istanbul(to fly is better).In Istanbul,you will need at least 3 days.I can again highly recommend you to stay in Sultanahmet(Old City).<BR>Billur BULAK<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 10:16 AM

Hi.The places you've chosen are really fantastic.As a State Registered Tour Guide,I can suggest you to see the map on my web-page.It's gonna help you to make your own orientation.The tour coded MYS-8 will also help you.<BR>Have a nice holiday in Turkey.<BR><BR>http://www.mysticturkey.com<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 01:23 PM

<BR>Be prepared....an extrance visa to Turkey costs $65. We didn't know and did not have enough cash for 5 adults and 2 kids going for the weekend. Luckily there was atm machine near the visa booth.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 06:19 AM

Cost of a visa for US citizens was raised to $100 some time last year. Other nationalities may have different fees.<BR><BR>You can get a visa in advance but I thought it was quite easy to get it at the airport.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 05:50 PM

Cheaper for Aussies...must be our brilliant vivacious personalities LOL.