First trip to Turkey

Search

First trip to Turkey

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First trip to Turkey

Any recommendations for things to see on a quick (one week) trip to Turkey? I will be getting some ideas from a former turkish exchange student but he often has a very different point of view. I know I want to see Istanbul and maybe Ephesus, but I am not sure how much I can fit in a week.

Chris Christensen
Amateur Traveler podcast (and radio show)
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 11:31 PM

Hi

Just returned from Turkey (September). In a week I would take in Istanbul and Ephesus as you intended. But I would also include Cappodocia. Truly incredible landscape. These 3 sights were the highlight of my trip.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 12:39 AM

WONDERFUL COUNTRY....u can start from istanbul and go to Eagean part and then to South..Amazing' awesome places to see
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 03:56 AM

Hi Chris,
You could arrive Istanbul 2 nights, fly to Izmir visit Ephesus, either in the vening or next morning fly to Cappadocia (there are also direct flights 4 times a week ) to Kayseri which is great. According to your plans for Istanbul stay 2 or 3 nights in Cappadocia and fly back to Istanbul. This is a perfect itinerary for a week and very doable plus great adventure.
Let me know if I can help you with forming your 1st ever trip to Turkey.
Happy travelling and regards from Sunny & cold Cappadocia
Murat
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 10:33 AM

Wow - that all sounds exhausting! I spent five days each in Istanbul and Goreme / Cappadocia, and I can't imagine spending any less time in either. I'd say stay in Istanbul, and maybe fly in and out of a coastal city for a few days [Bodrum, Antalya, Fethiye]. That is, if it's warm.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM

I'm going back to Turkey (end April/first 2 weeks in May) on a 16 day tour (slightly different from my first tour) and my most favorite places are Istanbul and Cappadocia. If you can, spend 3 days in Istanbul, 3 days in Cappadocia. Ephesus will only require one day. I'm basing this on an actual one week in Turkey not including flight time.

I guarantee you will want to go back as I am. Of all the places I've been, Turkey is at the top of my list. Cappadocia is other-worldly and Istanbul has so many sites to see.