german christmas markets

Search

german christmas markets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2003, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
german christmas markets

can anyone tell us about germany's christmas markets?? which one is the best?? where are they--which cities? about what date do they start?? any other european cities with similar fairs?<BR>we recently read about nuremberg's market and thought we might take a venture there in the late fall this year...<BR>any helpful hints would be appreciated, such as what hotels are near the fairs...thanks
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 07:56 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
German Christmas markets usually open before the first Sunday of Advent (around Thanksgiving) and run through mid-day on Christmas Eve. You'll find them just about everywhere in Germany and Austria. It's hard to say which is the best - they're all good in their own right. We've been to the Christkindlmarkts in Munich, Garmisch, Augsburg, and Berchtesgaden. I've heard good things about the markets in Rothenburg and Nuremberg, but haven't been to those(yet). I quite liked the Augsburg market though.<BR><BR>There's also a huge Christmas market in Salzberg, Austria.<BR><BR>Smaller towns throughout Germany and Austria also have Christmas markets, but they're usually held on weekends only, and they tend to open later in the holiday season.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 08:24 PM

Most of the German-speaking countries have Christmas markets. I went to ones in Vienna, Bratislava, and Krakow. They are great fun and the gluewein is very good as well as the roasted chestnuts and other food. Some of the items sold are true to the region but many are made in other countries. You just need to look them over carefully.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 04:38 AM

IMO - the Nurenburg (can never remember how to spell that) is almost too big and famous to enjoy. I couldn't get anywhere near the stalls or displays and ended up abandoning the whole thing in favor of an Irish pub with live music.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 01:11 PM

rhk- -- You can find tons of info just by searching &quot;christmas markets germany&quot; on your browser. A useful sitequot;germany-christmas-markets.org.uk&quot;,<BR>where 51 different cities with markets are listed. The largest and most crowded with tourists is in Nuremburg. The oldest is in Dresden. Though I have not been to the market, I have been to Dresden numerous times and it is truly a magnificent city. It is adjacent to the &quot;Erzgeberge&quot; area noted for its handmade Christmas ornaments. You can find more info atquot;http://www.deutscher-weihnachtzauber...ts_6htm.&quot; ENJOY!<BR>
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 01:40 PM

There was a nice piece on the Nuremberg Christmas market, with photos, in December, '02 Gourmet magazine.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 03:08 PM

Here are a couple of URL's you may enjoy:<BR><BR>http://www.weihnachtsmarkt.weihnachten-info.de/<BR><BR>http://www.bavariaben.com/readerfavorites.html
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

thank you all, yahoo has also pointed me to some of these sites....any additional comments are welcome...<BR><BR>i'M off to ireland in a couple of weeks; so dont't know what i will do if i can't get near the stalls in nurenberg next fall---but it won't be go to an irish pub---IN GERMANY????<BR>MAYBE LOOK FOR BUDWEISER???
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 11:07 PM

When planning your itinerary, make sure you avoid the big Christmas markets on a week-end. In fact, you'd do well to avoid all Christmas markets on week-ends and spend the time doing non-market sightseeing. The markets are simply MOBBED on week-end. <BR>And don't be surprised is you are somewhat disappointed in some of the markets--our German friends and relatives tell us many of them are bringing in more and more mass market trinket stuff and less and less handmade local crafts.<BR>We went to several Christmas markets in central/northern Germany this year and my favorite was in Munster. We picked up some beautiful handmade ornaments and hand knitted socks and gloves. Munster is off the tourist path and its market had mostly locals. Dusseldorf also had a lot of interesting crafts at its market; many of the stalls are run by students or grads from the city's highly regarded arts school. Dusseldorf's old town was interesting, too, and we had a great time at the Schlosser microbrewery/restaurant.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 06:02 AM

Skip Nurnburg. We went there and Rothenburg in Dec 02. Rothenburg is smaller and cozier. Nurnburg is big with lot's of stands, but too many stands are duplicates of what's one row over. Our favorite is Mannheim, about 30 minutes south of Frankfurt. The markets in the small villages are quaint. Most of the town's folks show up, as this is one of the biggest events of the year. We also went to the Christmas market in Frankenstein(pfalz). It was tiny, but still fun.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:19 PM

Try the one in Stuttgart. It is neither too big nor to small. The area of the market around the old castle is especially charming. Make sure to go in the evening for full effect. Enjoy!!!<BR>Kirsten
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 08:50 AM

There is a lot of substance to comments re: Munich and Nuremburg being packed. Munich's market is held along the main pedestrian shopping street, so saturday is really crowded. I think Nuremburg is the same - probably best known in Germany. I live now in Vienna (after Munich) and prefer markets here. Advantage here is that the main market is held in the square outside the town hall (on the main road skirting the centre)so although busy it is not so crushed as Munich as no other shops are around. there are also a couple of other smaller markets in the centre in very pretty squares, along with a number of bars serving punch etc along the main shopping streets. So you overall you get a buzz in multiple locations without the crush.<BR>Quality of stalls is comparable to Munich - some repetition, some crap, some very high quality decorations that are much cheaper than say in UK. Start at beginning of Dec.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Just a side comment about Viennese Christmas market: I was there in December and found the market around the town hall to be just as packed as the markets in Munich. Munich seemed to have more variety in their markets in different locations. (I did like the mixed berry punch in Vienna)<BR><BR>Brussels has a lame Christmas market, as well as Amsterdam. Copenhagen on the other hand, has a pretty nice market inside Tivoli.<BR><BR>Frankfurt - if you're stuck there waiting for your flight out, has a reasonably nice Christmas market around the Romer Dom.<BR><BR>Rothenburg was a bit too touristy for my tastes, and their markets are set up for the tourists instead of the locals.<BR><BR>Nuremberg has the most famous market, and you'll pay a premium to stay at the hotels at that time of year.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

thank you all for your replies, i have made notes from your suggestions...<BR>bob