Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Christmas markets in Northern Germany or in Baltic countries

Sep 20th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

I have enjoyed the Christmas markets in southern Germany and Salzburg areas and was thinking of visiting some of the ones in the northern part of Germany - Bremen, Hamburg, Rostock,etc. The other option would be to go to Tallin,Riga, and Helsinki. I am not interested in just shopping, but love the whole atmosphere of the markets,the food, taking photos,getting in the Christmas spirit, etc. Any comments from anyone who has been to these areas in early December?
Sep 20th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Sep 20th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Last December we found a great Christmas Market along the riverside in Old Town Bremen. It was kind of a Christmas Market/Renaissance Faire - the vendors were dressed in Medieval peasent garb and sold elixirs, potions and other wacky New Age-type stuff. The food vendors had the normal stuff like Glühwein, Würst and giant pretzels, etc. It takes place on the quayside right near the area featuring the "hip" bars and restaurants.

Just a few blocks away, heading toward the middle of the island there is a more traditional Christkindlmarkt spread out around the Dom (cathedral). Lots of food, Christmas decorations and rides. Like most Christmas Markets in Germany, the booze stands do the biggest business. If I remember correctly, they started taking it down on 23 December.

Check out this website: http://www.bremen-tourism.de/english...r.cfm?index=11
Oct 9th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Zeus. Has anyone been to any Christmas markets in Northern Germany other than Bremen?
Oct 9th, 2007, 05:19 AM

Back in 2002 I went to a great one in Cologne.
Oct 9th, 2007, 05:36 AM

It's not quite as far north as Bremen, but our favorite market (so far) was in Muenster. Lots of high quality items, many locally made, not many tourists, good food and wine to sample while you shop (esp. the freshly roasted and sugared almonds, they were my favorite, my husband's was the grunkohl/sausage combo, plus the usual gluhwein and beer). Held in the attractive old town. Live music several evenings.
At the "bottom" of the market area is the popular Kiepenkerl (pea pod) stube/restaurant, a nice place to pop in for a snack or drink.
The Muensterland water castle area is very pretty and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the villages/towns there had nice little markets. Worth a detour if you have time. The various "water castles" are quite picturesque in winter...one of our favorite Muensterland memories is ice skating under the stars on one castle's frozen moat with our German cousins.