Hotel room capacity - Italy

May 12th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Hotel room capacity - Italy

Help! We have award nights booked in Italy (2 adults/2 young kids) in one room. Is there some official ruling that a maximum of 3 per room in Italy?? Don't want to show up at check-in and be in trouble/have to pay full price for 2nd room - rather fix it now! Thank you! (new to forum)
May 12th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Not a law but I would sure contact the hotel ryanjoe to confirm that they the room will accomdate 4 people as often hotel rooms in Italy are smaller than we have in the US (where I assume you live). We can all guess as to the answer but only the hotel can give you the answer. Best regards..and enjoy your time in beautiful Italy!
May 12th, 2007, 04:08 PM

There is no speicific law against more than 2 in a room except as it may violate any safety codes. Even so, for your own peace of mind, it's best to check with your hotel. You can't count on the room being large enough, or the availability of roll-away beds, or that the hotel policy allows doubling up (fire codes, etc.)

Even in the U.S., there is a note on my room resrvation for an upcoming stay that this historic hotel assumes 2 in a room, and that extras persons staying in the room may not be possible.
May 12th, 2007, 04:25 PM

There are rooms for 4 all over Italy - but they must be set up that way. You can't just assume you can have 4 people in one room unless the hotel says so. So you definitely need to talki to the hotel directly. It is very possible your points rooms are doubles. If you need a quad/family room you need to contact the hotel ASAP.
May 12th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Hotel rooms in europe tend to be much smaller than in the US - and many simply won;t hold more than one double bed. You definitely need to contact the hotel in advance, make sure they assign you a room appropo for 4 (and let them know ages - so they don;t give you a crib or something) and find out what the additional cost will be. (You may require a deluxe room or a suite - which could affectt he number of award points being charged - or they may just want an additinal cash charge to cover breakfast etc.)
May 12th, 2007, 05:42 PM

I've been to europe alost 70 times - and stayed in at least a couple of hotels. Only 2 or 3 rooms (in American chain hotels) had 2 double beds - and in many of the upscale hotels even though the rooms were large all you got was 1 queen or king sized bed.

I'm sure you could have made arrangements to add kids in some of them - but only in advance (since they need to know to reserve cots to bring in) and at additional cost.
May 12th, 2007, 05:44 PM

You need to contact the specific hotels you have reserved and let them know you are a family of 4. See what they say.
May 12th, 2007, 06:23 PM

You may want to check out some bed and breakfast locations. My family- also 4 (2 adults and kids- 10 and 13). We have traveled in Europe quite a bit over the last 4 years. The only "hotel" that we found that offers 2 double beds were Novotel's in Paris (similiar to a Holiday Inn in the US) and a Holiday Inn in London with 2 dbl beds as well. We were in Belgium and Amsterdam over Christmas and stayed in Sofitels in both locations. They required 2 rooms for our family (kids were 9 and 12 at the time) and thankfully they were joining rooms. We stayed in b and b's in Rome and Venice.. they were really nice,clean and not at all what I expected. B & B's tend to be much cheaper than hotels especially if you had to rent 2 rooms. I would definantly make sure they can accomodate 4 people with a quad room. enjoy....
May 12th, 2007, 06:28 PM

Check out www.venere.com

We used this website to find most of our lodging in Europe.