I have to stay in a smoking room!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just made my hotel reservation for the trip I am taking to Tennessee. All the family is staying at the same hotel, and I guess I should have made my reservations earlier. It seems that they have no nonsmoking rooms available. : (((((
I have never willingly stayed in a smoking room. I plan to shove the blanket and bedspread to the floor and use my own down comforter. Are there other techniques that I should know about that others have used to cover up the stench of a smoking room? Maybe I am worrying needlessly and there won't be a strong smell. As I mentioned, I have never knowingly stayed in a smoking room, so I don't know what to expect. Unfortunately, this hotel is a Hampton Inn, not particularly top-knotch, I know.

It will just be for one night, as I will be staying at the home of a family member the second night. (can't stay there both nights because the trip is for a "surprise" celebration for her.)

I will also take some odor-eliminating spray and spray the curtains.
Have any of you handled this problem successfully? I should add that, unfortunately in this case, I DO have an excellent sense of smell (to make up for my poor hearing, I guess!)

Thanks!
Vicki
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 09:24 AM

If the odor is bad, ask if they have an "ozone machine". It can't be used while you are in the room, but if you are to be gone for several hours it'll pretty much eliminate the stench.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Stay in another hotel close by.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 09:27 AM

First, don't give up. Call back. And when you arrive, if you're still stuck in a cancer room, demand a non-smoking room then.

Second, smoking rooms vary from nauseating to fine. If you're lucky, you won't notice the horrific stench of air-borne carcinogens. If you're not lucky, consider opening the windows for awhile in addition to all of the de-stench-ifying techniques you mentioned.

Good Luck!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Another good reason to bring your own car because now you have to stay at a different hotel.

Call the hotel directly (not the toll free reservations line) and ask if they have a non-smoking room, or if one becomes available to move you to it.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 09:40 AM

vicki..Take some Fabreeze, it works.Also Fabreeze now has Air Spray which is really much better than Lyson, IMHO.Call the hotel between 10am and 12Noon, hotel time the day of your arrival.See if they have a non smoking room they will "block" for you.Works for me every time.Good Luck
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 09:41 AM

I would just stay at another hotel. Nothing ever gets rid of the smell enough for me. Good luck!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Vicki - do you have a small electric fan? It's not a perfect remedy but it has worked for me at my job when a co-worker has been a little generous with the perfume (not very often, thankfully).
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:36 AM

I found that burning a scented candle (while you're in the room of course), helps out too.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Good advice from the other posters. I have worked as a front desk clerk before and you would be surprised at how far being "nice" will get you. When you go to check in, be extra friendly and say something like "they told me to check again at check-in, I would really like a non-smoking room, I would really appreciate it..." I usually caved for people that were actually sincere and honestly nice! Also, the air freshener is good advice, housekeeper has some as well and they can usually bring you a fan in the room. The severity of the smell typically also depends on who stayed in that room before you, who knows..maybe it was non-smokers the last few guests. However, it does get in the curtains and bedspreads, but then again the best thing to do with all bedspreads is kick them off the bed, they don't get changed or cleaned as often as the sheets, and they don't get changed in between guests.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:44 AM

If smoke bothers you, i wouldn't recommend bringing your own down comfortor as it will pick up the smoke odor. I would ring along an old WASHABLE blancket that you can toss in the wash when you get home. I would also leave as many of my clothes in the car as I could to avoid them from picking up the smoke.

I'm with you. I can't tolerate smoke and it seems to get worse as I get older.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Rachel, I didn't even think about MY comforter getting all smoky! And my pillow! Yikes! Thanks for making me think of that.

Actually, I may change these plans. We have a block of rooms at a Hilton there in May, for my son's wedding, and I have never even seen it. We are also having the rehearsal dinner there. I was thinking I'd drive over and have a look at it, but now I'm thinking maybe I should spend a night there to be sure it meets our needs, as well as the elderly family members who will be coming in May. I have a call in to the director of sales because the desk person says she will have to charge me a non-discounted full price for the room next month. I think since we are having a function there, and this is a "fact-finding" trip for me, that they should give me something better than the rack rate.

Vicki
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:03 AM
J62

I have found several times in a similar situation. - not being able to guarantee a non-smoking room. That doesn't 100% mean that you will have a smoking room. Call the hotel directly (not the 800#) the morning of your arrival and see if they can accommodate you at that time. Inventory will often change daily due to early checkouts, cancelled trips, etc. The front desk will have final say.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:13 AM

Vicki, hopefully you will get another room. I've been in non-smoking rooms that reeked, too! Guess some smokers are just selfish. What nobody mentions is the allergens and irritants and just plain poison that's in the residue- that's more dangerous than the smell. Gradually, placed are becoming smokefree and some chains have adopted that policy. Always a good thing to write to management about your concerns, too. I have fought for smokefree laws for 2 years now, and it's beginning to make a difference. Good luck!!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:18 AM

It's probably a good idea to call every s ooften so see if they can give you a non-smoking. If you have no luck, when you arrive tell them that you had requested a non-smoking (don't tell them that you were told none are available).

I always reserve non-smoking, but have arrived at hotels and am told there were none to be had. We'd insist on it and magically one always seems to appear...it makes you wonder...
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:29 AM

Quite often I've been unable to book a nonsmoking room but one has always been available on arrival. Maybe I've just got lucky!
Keep trying and perhaps mention that you'll probably have to cancel your reservation....that may prompt them to "find" you a non smoking room!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Some smoking rooms are OK and some are absolutely unbearable. Truly not livable. I would keep calling the hotel. If they can't guarantee a change within a couple days of your, I would have a second hotel in reserve, and stay there instead if need be.

#1- Drive yourself.
#2- Get a no smoking hotel room.

Think of this as practice for "assertiveness" otherwise known as taking good care of yourself.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
oops, within a couple days of your trip.

<I have to stay in a smoking room!>

NO, you don't. Repeat after me
;-)
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:27 PM

Followed and responded to your earlier post about same trip.

Sounds like a trip from hell already. Florida is especially nice this time of year and airfares are lower than they were this winter - ever considered that as a possibility?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:27 PM

Is there another hotel in the area? If so, I strongly suggest you try getting a room there. Or as others have suggested, keep checking back and making it clear that you really need a non-smoking room.

We've had really bad experiences with smoking rooms. Once we made the mistake of taking a smoking room because it was in a quieter area of the hotel. Bad move! The stench was awful! We all felt really bad the next morning.

Unfortunately, the one motel in the small town where my mother-in-law lives has no non-smoking rooms. When all of my husband's siblings are home at once, there isn't room for all of us. Whenever possible, we stay in another town down the road. But sometimes it just doesn't work out.

I think that, because they don't offer non-smoking rooms, they do really make an effort to clean out the smoke smell. But it's impossible to completely get rid of it. While not as horrible as the smoking room in the first place I mentioned, it's still there. There's that faint odor in the air and in the bedding. Yuck!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -