Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

question about Hotel Capo d'Africa (Rome)

Old Oct 19th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone happen to know for sure whether this hotel has rooms with king bed? We're interested in staying there next July, but the hotel says it has only queen beds. At the same time, I believe I've read from other travelers that they've stayed there-- in king bed, not queen. A curious mystery which I'd love to resolve. Thanks for helping if you can.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 07:45 AM

I have stayed there 4 times and each time had a room with a real king bed.

I have booked both standard and deluxe rooms and was there as recently as last November. Great hotel in a great location. Are they saying perhaps that their Kings are sold out - you are going in prime time.

We were 5 couples last fall and we all had real kings on various floors.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so very much for your prompt reply. Actually, they said that the hotel does not have king beds--queen is their largest. In other words, not a matter of being sold out of kings. I guess it's a "language" problem of some sort. I know, e.g., that EU kings are somewhat more narrow than U.S. kings, and that's fine; but queen wouldn't be. I wonder why they say the hotel has queen bed only??
Anyway, do you remember what your room numbers were? (Had you specifically asked for king bed, or did you not care one way or the other?) Do you remember which rooms you thought were especially lovely? (Mainly good and quiet)
I'd love to get the reservations made because I know that July is a busy time. I'd like just to be able to book and forget about it. But it's been kind of maddening not to be able to get this simple (or not so simple?) question resolved. I do very much appreciate your help!
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Hello poss, there is a good possibiity that the hotel does not know the correct definition of their beds.

I say that as I have a good friend who was a manager of a hotel in N Italy. They suddenly started getting reservation questions from Americans regarding the size of their beds. Up to that time they had very few Americans reserve room with the hotel. Anyway, long story short he called me and asked for the measurements of our various US beds. I went to Sleep Train and the manager who I knew gave me all the information which I emailed to my friend in Italy. He converted our measurements to their metric system. He was shocked to discover that their hotel did have several room with king size beds, lol. He had thought they were queen size beds.

So perhaps the Capo d'Africo is the same..it sounds like it since kfusto posted they all had kind size beds while staying there.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 01:34 PM

I just looked at my email confirmations from last year and I booked Deluxe doubles for my group.

I think it must be a language issue as I cannot remember ever getting queens in Italy. I always request one large bed. Sometimes they are two pushed together and made up as one but not at this hotel.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for all the help-- much appreciated.
kfusto: Since you've stayed at Capo a number of times, are you able to direct me to which rooms you thought were the "best"? For us, quiet is the primary consideration. Several reports I've read on Trip Advisor mention noise from chairs scraping on the roof terrace above. Since we need non-smoking, and since I believe that the non-smoking floor is the top floor (below that roof terrace), I'm concerned about that.
I also dread those kinds of EU bathrooms where water leaks out all over the floor when one showers. How were the bathrooms at Capo? Did any of your showers have a full glass enclosure? Did any of the rooms have a private terrace? (I can't get a clear reading on that from their website. I think their site is not very good, in fact. No real photos of the various rooms, for instance.)
This will be a special 80th birthday present for my husband, and I'm so hoping that our stay in Rome will be lovely as possible. We're not likely to return (have never been to the city together, though we know much of the rest of Italy well), so I want our memories to be sweet ones.
Thanks so much for whatever help!
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 11:49 AM

I did not make note of any room numbers, sorry.

Most recently we were on the ground floor in a corner and the location was perfect and room very quiet.

Bathrooms have all had fully enclosed showers with the raised entrances so no messy floors. Some have tubs and others do not....we have had both and I love a hot bath at the end of a long day.

There are some rooms on top floor with private terraces - we spent a lot of time on the roof and saw folks enjoying them.

I do not recall any of the rooms I have had being noisy - but I always request a quiet, non smoking room.
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, kfusto.