Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

When is time to confirm hotels and request rooms, etc.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Italy June 7. We are staying at Smeraldo in Rome, Hotel Casci in Florence, Acquamarine Apt. in Cinque Terre and B & B Gli Angeli in Venice. All of these reservations were made in November - when should I e-mail to recomfirm reservations? Also, we will have two rooms in Rome .. how do I request the rooms are close and not on the ground or first floor? I have also found the breakfast at Smeraldo is overpriced and not too good - how do I request not to have the breakfasts? Is this too confusing to e-mail - should I wait until arrival? Hotel Casci is willing to make museum reservatons for us .. how soon should I request that? When I made reservations I had no idea on arrival time -now I do since I just made train reservations - do I let them know arrival times? Is it best to just confirm once and ask/request all items or e-mail a few times? Anything other suggestions with dealing with hotels? We do not speak Italian, so I do not want to "mess up"! Grazie in advance for your help.
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:57 PM

we are traveling june 25 to july 18. i just confirmed my hotels and arranged for residenza san pantaleo in rome to pick us up at the airport. 4 of 5 have responded back....i am just waiting for hotel napoleon in milan. i figured 6 weeks prior or so was a good time and i now don't feel nervous. last week i had a nightmare we arrived in italy with nowhere to stay....lol
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:58 PM

ps....i made the initial reservations in jan
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:00 PM

I just re-confirmed for a trip to France starting next week, using the emails from the hotels as my reference point.

I usually do a final re-confirm about 3 weeks before I leave. I then take their re-confirms and bring those with me, just in case there might be a 'problem' at the hotel.
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Are you going to e-mail again or will you now be "good to go"?
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

any suggestions on request for Smeraldo?
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM

i will probably reconfirm again the week before we leave....especially rome since we are using the hotel to pick us up at the airport. as to room requests i would do it as soon as possible just for peace of mind.
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:28 PM

I am going to Rome next week and am very glad I confirmed through the hotels website last week. They had our reservation for only one night rather than 5 nights and at the end of the month instead of next week! It took about a week to clear it up emailing back and forth, but geez louise!
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

It looks like it is best to confirm soon - June 7 will be here soon and if there is a problem I want to have time to correct it. I am still not sure if I should request no breakfast, rooms together now or when we get there ... I was told to keep confirmation simple so there is not confusion and the hotel won't end up canceling reservation because they are not sure of the request - what do you think?
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

ttt