Hotel Price Drop -- For Me?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I booked hotel last fall for this June. Rate was 176 Euros (fair based on guidebooks, etc.). That was also the rate shown on hotel's website. Now, the website shows 150 Euors for the same room, but it also shows no availability the nights we have booked (four rooms total). Should I expect them to drop the price for me, or should I figure I pay what I previously okayed?
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:48 AM
ira

Hi,

Have you written the hotel telling them how pleased you are that the rate has dropped and confirming that you expect to pay the new rate?
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:48 AM

This happened to us with a hotel in Rome 2 yrs. ago. They said that the website hadn't been updated to the present year, but they would honor the lower price. They thanked me and said that they would immediately change the website. Worth a try!
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:24 AM

Made a reservation in March for a room in London for October and was confirmed @ 115.00GBP a night. Last night in checking my reservation(I do this monthly) I noticed the rooms are now quoted @ 105.00GBP a night.
I quickly made a new reservation for the same dates,was confirmed @ the new price and cancelled the first reservation. Not the first time this has happened.
Would they have given me the lower price had I not cancelled? Good question---why take the chance!!
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:41 AM

If you had booked your rooms at 150 euros and the price showing on the website was now 176, would you be happy paying the new price?

I would certainly ask for some sort of goodwill discount, but I don't think you should expect one as a right (especially if the hotel's full). After all, you thought the price was fair when you booked it.
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:05 AM

I guess there's no harm in asking, but I agree with Xenos. Pricing to some extent is marketing, response to supply and demand. Perhaps they recently lowered the price to fill up some vacancies -- you reserved a long long time ago so you are not a vacancy.

On the other hand, all this is speculation as you said the price is listed as 150 euro but there are no rooms available at that price. There is a joke about that, a real old joke I heard from my grandpa, a storekeeper in Martins Ferry, OH during the Depression -- man walks into his store and says how much for a dozen eggs. He replied 25 cents. The main complains and says they are only 15 cents down the street at Joe's, but they're out of them. My grandpa replied, "when we're out of them, they're only 10 cents."
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:55 AM

CHRISTINA
After spending all my working years in retailing that "old" joke brought back lots of memories---Albeit some good some bad!!!
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:19 AM

After reading this post, I checked the price on the internet for my hotel in Rome. It had dropped EUR 26 per nite since I had booked it. I emailed them last night and asked them if they would honor the lower price and they said yes. Since we will be in Rome nights, that helps a lot !
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

SallyJo, glad I could help -- you. The hotel I checked with said that lower rate was for the smallest rooms they still had left. Now, given that their website showed entire months (listed day by day) with availability at the lower price, I know that isn't really true, but I figure at least I'll get a better room by sticking with what I had. Given they've offered me a 10% discount for cash payment, it isn't enough to be bothered with.