Wotif - help needed

Jul 23rd, 2005, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Wotif - help needed

Hi,

I found a good rate for a room on Wotif for 2 pax but can fit 4 pax. However, I have this query about 'extra-person charges' to be paid directly to the hotel upon check in. The rate quoted on the Wotif website is much lower than the official rate on the hotel website. Yet, I get this impression that Wotif is not responsible for this charge and may not be able to 'honour' this rate when we check in.

Has anyone have a similar experience with paying for extra people sharing the same unit when booked through Wotif? I'd like some opinions, thank you.
Jul 24th, 2005, 01:01 AM

I have only had one occasion when we had to pay an extra person price using Wotif and that was for a Sheraton in Munich. The price for the extra person was exactly as quoted by Wotif and the hotel even upgraded us to a suite since there was 3 people in the room instead of two!

I have used Wotif a number of times, mostly for Australian hotels, and have not had a bad experience with them.

I had a quick look at a couple of hotels listed with them and the cost of the extra person is stated quite clearly. I would do a print out of the page which includes that information as well as your normal confirmation page to take along when you book in at reception. Then if the hotel tries to charge you a higher rate you can show them the page with the quoted price. One would hope the hotel would then honour the price quoted by Wotif. I did something similar a few weeks ago when I booked a hotel at Cape Tribulation. I required a twin bedded as compared to a double bed room and the confirmation sheet did not list that this what I had asked for. I therefore printed out the copy of the page where I had ticked twin bedded instead of double in case there was a problem - not that there was.

The other thing you could try is simply ring the hotel direct and see if they are willing to mstch the Wotif price and then it is all sorted out.

Jul 24th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Original Poster

Yep, I thought printing out the information page with the prices and hoping for the best at check-in is the best way to go.

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this.
Jul 24th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Jed

'The rate quoted on the Wotif website is much lower than the official rate on the hotel website.'

In NZ, before we got to Auckland, I called the Quay Suites directly, and got the same rate as on wotif. The website rate was much higher.

Same with The Point in Queenstown. When I emailed them from the US, the rate they quoted was the same as wotif, and less than the website rate.

So the website rate is mostly a wishlist.
Jul 24th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

The thing is, I already emailed them The quote came back lower than their website rates because of an ongoing 'special' but was still NZ$64/night higher than the wotif rate. Maybe this is because the hotel rate included breakfast while the wotif rate doesn't. I've asked the hotel about a breakfast-less 'special rate' but was told that their current special package includes breakfast and she didn't offer me any other options in the reply. All well, I don't want to press too much - sometimes I'm thin-skinned like that I think I'll just go for the wotif.

Thanks though!
Jul 26th, 2005, 03:46 AM

I've used Wotif.com a number of times with extra people added and the amount charged to Wotif is for two people for the room. The extra amount for the extra people above the first two will be paid on checking out of the hotel, it will be at the price set on the Wotif site at the extra person rate.

Eg, if Wotif says room for two is $100 and extra person is $20 you will pay Wotif $100 when you book and you will pay the hotel $20 on check out. Simple and it works fine and never been asked to pay more.