Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Expedia,DisountHotels etc Rates, Are they too good to be true?

Aug 24th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Just Wondering

I have never booked a hotel through a discounter before. In doing some research the past few days for a few hotels I am looking at, I am finding that the rates through some of the sites are half of what the hotel websites are quoting. Do these other sites quote real rates?
Any insight is appreciated.

Aug 24th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Simone

I booked several times through www.180096hotel.com and it worked pretty well.

Aug 24th, 2002, 03:59 PM
J

You can also just trying calling the hotel directly (not th e800 # if it's a chain). NEVER pay the rack rate. You shouldn't have to, try AAA, asking for best available, can they throw in breakfast, etc. Unless it's absolutely high season or some special event in town, you should be able to get a pretty good deal. The pro of booking through the hotel is that you are not billed immediately and can still cancel if need be. Many of the discounters online require upfront payment.

Aug 24th, 2002, 04:03 PM
JustWondering

Thanks for the quick responses.
That is one of the sites I was looking at. They have one of the hotels I was wondering about for half the rate the hotel quoted me, same dates, after AAA discount etc. What I am wondering as well is do they give you the worst room location and such? Any possibilty of upgrading once you arrive if you dont like your room or its location? Thanks again for all the help.

Aug 24th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Holiday

Hotels will not give you a luxury suite when booking at a discount site but you are no more apt to get the worst room in the hotel either. Try calling the hotel directly, you may get an even better rate from them.

Aug 24th, 2002, 04:31 PM
sister

After reading horror stories from other people about Priceline , I'd be hestitant to go that route. Are other hotel sites safe? Turotravel? Hoteldiscounts?Quikbook?

Previous posters are right..Never EVER pay rack rate. I'd trust Expedia, Orbitz and Travelocity as well.

Aug 24th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Statia

I use Expedia quite often with good results. However, I also check rates thru the hotel directly, as well.

Aug 24th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Jayelle

The discount rates on Travelocity and Expedia are coming from the same company that runs the hoteldiscount.com site (per an article in the NY Times travel section a while back). While I've never booked the discounted rooms through Travelocity or Expedia, I have booked using hoteldiscount.com. The rates are for real, but they come with cancellation penalties, and hoteldiscount actually charges the full amount to your credit card as soon as you book the room, even if the trip is months away. Therefore, if you use these sorts of discount rates, make sure you read the terms and conditions very carefully booking.

Aug 24th, 2002, 04:56 PM
JustWondering

Thanks all for the responses.
Priceline is out of the question for me, I HAVE to know where I am staying
I will look into the options then, so far no hotel I am looking at will match the prices quoted on the Hotel Discount site. And I did call the hotel directly.
Thanks again.

Aug 25th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Max

I booked a room on Expedia. No problems. Yes, they do bill your credit card immediately. There's a $10 charge if you cancel to get a refund.

Aug 26th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Faina

I used Expedia several times, their rates are for real, they charge your credit card the day of booking for all days of stay in the hotel including taxes. Hotel may charge additional electricity charges - happened once in Vegas only.

My advise - call the hotel directly several days after reservations to confirm it went through. Once Expedia "lost" me somewhere, it took only one 800 call to clear up w/Expedia plus one follow-up call to the hotel.

I will definitely be using Expedia again if I like the rates they offer - I always check several websites, and usually end up with Expedia anyway

Aug 26th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Dave

Max,

Did Expedia change its policy regarding hotel room cancellation? I booked with them this May. A couple of days before arrival, my travel plans was changed. I have to cancelled my booking with Expedia. They did not charge me $10.00. Are you referring to the Expedia special rate?

Dave

Aug 26th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Statia

Dave:

I have found that some rates thru Expedia are "special" rates that charge your credit card immeidately and come with different cancelation policies. I have also booked other rates thru Expedia and cancelled only days before with no problem and no charges. I think it depends on whether or not you get a "special rate."

Aug 26th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Sue

I booked twice with hoteldiscounts.com and both times got very small rooms. In Boston it was OK, but SF had no windows (I swear it was a former maids' closet), so they upgraded us for an add'l $25/night, which they forgot to charge us and I "forgot" to remind them of.

Aug 26th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Dave

Thanks, Statia.

Dave

Aug 26th, 2002, 06:17 PM
sue

Definitely do a check also at the hotel and various checks with other hotel discounters.

Sometimes I find the hotel to be cheaper.

Aug 26th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Donna

I've had fabulous luck with ALL of the above. Priceline is my least favorite, but I always use it when I want the best hotel for the lowest price so I can stay longer. Once, we did get a tiny, farthest from the elevator room, but for the rate we paid, I wasn't about to quibble. I've used Hoteldiscount many, many times, mostly for Boston, but also for NYC, and we've always been assigned spendid rooms. Once, in Boston, I think they made a mistake, giving us a corner room that was bigger than our huge famiy room with magnificent views, a lovely living room arrangement, and two bathrooms! I booked a room in San Francisco with Expedia once, in my very first choice of places to stay there, at about 1/3 the rate I would have expected to pay. Again, a corner room that was fabulous. My usual favorite resource is Hotwire.com. The rates are usually a LOT lower than Expedia or Hoteldiscount (when you check after finding out the name of the hotel). I've always gone for a 4 or 4-1/2 star with spectacular results (Waldorf-Astoria in NYC for $119, Le Meridien in Boston for $105). The hotels will never, ever, match the pre-paid rates. Probably due to the fact that booking directly gives you liberal cancellation benefits. I've found that each new booking is an entirely new endeavor. It really pays to shop like the dickens.