Search

Venere.com

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venere.com

Hi,

Can I get some feedback on how venere.com works? I have some hotels quoted with them that I want to stay at..however, what is thel liklihood that when I check out that I will get the same rate that was quoted on that website? Can someone who has used htem before offer some feedback on if its a good idea? THanks!

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 03:45 AM

Don't understand your question David. Are you asking if you'd get the same rates directly from the hotel? Other Fodorites have claimed that when they've contacted hotels directly if they get a higher quote, they ask for the venere rate they saw & get it.

If that's not what you're asking, repost.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

I'm sorry for the confusion of my question...my understaning of venere.com is that you reserve the room (as opposed to hotels.com where you buy it on the spot) and still go through "normal" check out. I am asking if the rate that you "check out" at is always the same as the rate you reserved with venere.com. Basically, how reliable/trustworth is venere.com.

THanks!@
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:15 AM

Should be totally reliable but you should have a print out of your confirmation (including price). Can't remember whether the prices include tax on venere. Also, people here have suggested contacting the hotel directly via fax, email or phone to confirm-just to be safe. Also take note of whether the price includes breakfast. That often depends on the city.

If you're really concerned, why not try booking directly with the hotel? As I said, people claim to be able to get the same rates directly from the hotel.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

thank you so much! Does anyone know if venere.com includes all costs..like taxes, etc??
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:36 AM
Bootman4U

I think Venere explains what is included in terms of taxes, etc., on the site (but could be wrong). Unlike some discount sites you make the reservation through Venere for the particular hotel. The rate Venere quotes is the rate you'll get...think of it as the result of a collaboration between Venere and the particular hotel because that's exactly what it is. The hotel uses Venere and sometimes discount sites to move their merchandise (in this case, their room space)...sometimes a property will heavily discount a rate but only "advertise" it through a discounter..just as airlines move seats through consolidators.
It is all perfectly legal and above-board and when you arrive at the hotel the hotel will KNOW where/how you made the reservation.
I would:
Take a copy of the Venere reservation confirmation print-out with me to the hotel.
I would confirm AT CHECK-IN the rate...and if there is a discrepency that's when you show them the print-out..and insist, not that you'll have to, that the give you the quoted rate.
If you are still concerned, e-mail the hotel before arrival and have them confirm with you the presence of the reservation and the rate.

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 06:01 AM

I have found that venere usually has higher costs than the hotel. I have gone on venere, before I realized it, and they showed no rooms available. When I then contacted the hotel, they had rooms. For Rome a really good site is www.travel.it and go to hotels. That site has a multitude of hotels (more than venere) and lists them by stars. Then you go to the hotels own website and deal directly with them. I have always found that better. If you have a problem, you're dealing directly with the hotel. They're also very helpful with information before your trip.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 06:40 AM

Hi davidg,

Bootman's explanation is wonderful, and hopefully reassuring to you. Having just successfully used venere for a couple of hotels in Italy, here's my experience.

Once you set up a user account and make your reservations, venere sends you a separate detailed confirmation email for each reservation including a confirmation number, dates of check-in and check-out, and the total cost for all nights. In this confirmation they will tell you that your reservation is NOT actually confirmed until you get a confirming email from the property itself. The email you get from the property will reference the venere confirmation number and all the pertinent details. Depending on the time of day/night you reserve with venere, it may take a day or so to get a confirmation from the property.

Once venere has you in their system, you can log on to your account at any time and check the status of your reservations or modify/cancel as necessary. Even now that we have returned, my account history is still available.

A few days prior to the trip, I emailed each property to re-confirm the reservation, indicating the approximate time of day we expected to arrive. In each case I received a prompt reply.

When we arrived to check in very late one night (as planned), the night manager was expecting us and confirmed the rate at check-in.

Hope this helps.