Hotel or Apartment in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm travelling to Paris on my own for 1 week. What are the pros and cons of staying in a hotel or an apartment? Does anyone have any suggestions for both? Has anyone rented an apartment and has a good or bad review?
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 09:20 PM

I would select an apartment and do rent them in Paris. I stayed at hotels for decades and then switched over to apartments when I found companies/owners that had what I was looking for in an apartment, along with easy payment.

If you post a budget, then it will be easier for posters to make suggestions. Also, as for comparing an apartment to a hotel, for me one big pro of an apartment is that, in my experience, I have gotten far more space in an apartment than in a hotel and for almost the same price as a hotel room.

Paris hotel rooms are quite claustrophobic. One of my 40 square meter rental apartments cost almost the exact price that my 12-15 square meter hotel room cost and in the same neighborhood. Plus, I like having a kitchen where I can cook a substantial breakfast and also cook dinner if I choose to. I personally don't like being restaurant dependent.

Another advantage of the apartments that I've had is that there hasn't been a check-in and check-out time and the keys were sent to me before leaving home. Therefore I arrive when I arrive and leave when I leave and not have to try to schedule my flight, from L.A., around check-in and check-out times. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that info. Could you reccomend any reliable companys that I could look at? I've read some pretty horrible reviews in regards to renting apartments,( owner not showing up with key, dirty apartments, etc). I like the idea. But where do I start?
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 03:11 AM

I have done both and like both...

Best for budget though smaller

www.betterbidding.com search "Paris" for deals up to 70% off

nice 4 stars like Meridien Etoile for me recently from $80/nt

For apartments nice bigger careful many scammers tax cheats

use an agency pay large sumes witn CC/Paypal...

www.parisbestlodge.com one of my favs...

Happy Hunting,
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 03:50 AM

You asked for pros and cons.

I generally stay in apts., but one of the cons is if you're traveling somewhere for the first time. Without the help of an accommodating hotel staff, you're going to have to do a lot of research to get the most out of your trip.

I'm not trying to talk you out of an apt. Just pointing out a major drawback.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 09:10 AM

www.vacationinparis.com www.homeaway.com www.vrbo.com Happy Travels!
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 09:11 AM

www.parisbestlodge.com Happy Travels!
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 09:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have to agree with k9korps----if this is your first time in Paris and alone, I'd choose a hotel as close to The Seine as possible. If you've been there before and are comfortable getting around the city, I'd choose an apt.

We stayed in hotels the first few times and now have rented an apt. for the last 4 times.

Our favorite experience is with www.guestapartment.com

Most of Guest Apartment places are on Ile St. Louis, a great location. They have an office right on the Ile for convenience and help with reservations, information, etc.

Good luck!
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 10:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is a long thread where many people mention apartments they have rented:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ent-thread.cfm

I love renting apartments. If I am with my husband, one of us can be sleeping in the bedroom while the one who isn't sleeping can be in the living room or some place other than the bathroom, which is the only place to get up and read a book without disturbing someone in a hotel room.

I like having comfortable furniture so I don't have to sit on the bed to read or watch TV. I like not having to be out while the room is made up, and I don't mind making my own bed.

I like being able to buy things at the markets instead of just window shopping and keeping them in the kitchen to make meals or snacks. This does not mean you have to cook if you rent an apartment; there is a lot of extremely appetizing prepared food in Paris, as well as cheese, fruit, and pastries.

If you would prefer to have somebody clean your room and have access to front desk staff to help you make reservations and answer questions, then a hotel is a better choice, however.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 10:41 AM

For a first visit I would always do a hotel - to have staff there to provide guidance. As for hotels being small - that depends on the hotel and what kind of room you book. The least expensive are likely to be small. (If you go the hotel route do NOT book a single room - they are always tiny. Book a double room for one person and you will get a full sized bed versus one twin.)

If money is a major issue. And if you plan on eating or even cooking in the room (I don;t cook at home and would run a mile from doing so on vacation) then an apartment makes a lot of sense.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 11:01 AM

If you've never been to Paris before and are alone, I don't really see why you'd even want an apartment or for what purpose. So it's hard to advise without knowing why you think you would even want that. You just say you "like the idea". But why? Do you intend to not go out anywhere to eat or at night? If so, I can understand it, as some people are afraid to go anywhere alone or at night. I am not trying to be dramatic, I've read threads on here from single women who claimed they were afraid to even go into a restaurant so stayed in their hotel every night (or ate at McDonalds, I remember that one).

Apts don't really save money in my experience for a single person. There are lots of nice cheap hotels in Paris that are convenient. If you intend to take a taxi at the end you will have to figure out how to do that yourself on the phone.

Now I admit I do not eat so much as a lot of people do so maybe that's why I don't see any difference in cost. I would never stay in an apt for dinner, for example. And I don't eat breakfast, and I certainly wouldn't go to an apt in the middle of the day.