Hotel Konigssee?

Search

Hotel Konigssee?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Konigssee?

Has anyone stayed or seen this hotel? I'm thinking of staying here but I can't seem to find any recent reviews.

TIA
Lydia
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 07:15 AM

I've never stayed there, but it looks like a nice enough place (www.hotel-koenigssee.com). It's certainly convenient to the docks for the boats on the Königssee. You might have to carry your luggage a hundred yards or so from the Parkplatz/Bushaltestelle to the hotel. The area around there is quite busy during the day with pedestrian trafic to the boats. Seestrasse is one continous souvenier market.

Once you know how to spell the name correctly (Königssee or Koenigssee) you can do a Google search (hotel koenigssee, koenigssee) and find several reviews.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 07:34 AM

Although the Koenigsee is gorgeous, the area just at the boat landings and in front of the few hotels there is somewhat seedy and loaded with flocks tourists and tours all day and into the evening. It is definitely not worth it!
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM

Agree with Emily. Stay in town. Berchtesgaden is beautiful.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:05 AM

I agree with staying in town. Trouble with Königssee is that almost anywhere else you want to go in the area (Salzburg, Kehlstein, Salt mine, Therme, etc, exc Jennerbahn) you have to go back through Berchtesgaden (either drive or bus). You might as well stay in Berchtesgaden and go out to Königssee only once.

However, despite the busy-ness of the area, I did think Hotel Königssee looked nice, as does Schiffmeister, on the other side of the street.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:21 PM

I have a differing opinion about the choice of hotel location. Staying in town is good if you don't have a car. We stayed in town at various places for our first few trips to the area and I thoroughly enjoyed it. No matter where you stay, you need to drive somewhere... either up the mountains, over to Konigsee, over to Salzburg, etc....

We gradually got into hiking over the years and this introduced us to areas in and aroung B'gaden that we had never seen. There are many beautiful areas to choose from. Generally, a stay in the countryside is cheaper than the town and, more importantly, you get to really mix with the local folks a lot more and in the process you learn more about the culture.If the weather is hot, you will be more comfortable outside of town as nothing is air conditioned. Some of our most memorable times have been in some of these "out of the way" spots. Just finding some of them is an accomplishment!

We are fortunate enough to be returning in September and we plan to stay outside of town.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:30 PM

I was inside the hotel for a birthday dinner, and although it is nice, I think I'd rather stay in town, and maybe have lunch or dinner at the hotel.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 01:01 PM

I personally wouldn't want to stay there either. The whole area around the Konigssee is just very touristy, filled with tacky souvenir shops and pricy eateries.

We stayed in Schonau on both trips, but in the area of Hinterschonau, in the valley about 2 km from the Konigssee, and loved it. Nice and quiet, and the views were amazing. I would highly suggest staying in Schonau (just avoid the Konigssee area), Berchtesgaden or Ramsau, although this area is better with a vehicle.

Tracy