Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Am Dom or Hotel Villa Auesperg - Salzberg

Old May 7th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - does anyone have a recommendation on which hotel they prefer for a short stay in Salzburg, sight seeing to the more popular spots like Old Town, etc...

Hotel Am Dom seems like it's better located and Auesperg seems to be a bit higher end/better breakfast. We like the idea of being so centrally located and in a small boutiquey hotel; however Auesperg seems to get higher praise so just looking for feedback/opinions from anyoen who has stayed at or is familiar with these hotels

Thank you,

Shelley
Old May 7th, 2018, 06:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO, this is the sort of choice only you can make. Location v. amenities. We don't spend much down time in the hotel, so location would probably win for us (esp. at a time of year when weather can impact sightseeing). You don't say how long your "short" stay is, and that might also make the decision easier for me. FWIW, we stayed at the Hotel Wolf Dietrich for 3 nights over 2 trips. It's about halfway between the two hotels you're considering, on the Villa Auesperg side of the river.
Old May 7th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Jean -

Thank you so much. We are probably going to stay at Hotel Am Dom because it is seemingly best located for our sightseeing. Since it sounds like you know both hotel locations, do you agree that Hotel Am Dom is best located for sightseeing to the following sites (I probably should have included the in the original post because this was really the essence of my question): Old Town, Salzburg Cathedral, Mozart Birthplace and Residence, Mirabell Gardens, St Peter's Church & Cemetery, Sound of Music film location, Salzburg High Fortress are the top sites on our list - not sure if we'll make it to all but hopefully that gives you an idea of the things we want to do.

Shelley
Old May 8th, 2018, 07:27 AM

Since you feel you won't see everything on your list, prioritize the sights and pick the hotel location that is central to the things you most want to see/do. FWIW, we found the Sound of Music stuff by far the least interesting aspect of Salzburg.
Old May 8th, 2018, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jean, I'm happy you mentioned that re: Sound of Music because that was probably the 1st thing that would fall off of our list if we didn't have enough time.

Here's a rough list of the things we'll probably do: Old Town (Alstadt), Hohensalzburg Castle (same as what i sometime see referred to as Salzberg Castle, I suspect?), Mirabell Palace and Gardens Mullner Brau Beer Garden (maybe). We'd also like to find a casual, yet upscale, restaurant for dinner/drinks. A place we can stop into after a day of sightseeing without having to go to the hotel and clean up. We prefer small, rustic/historical kind of venue to that of a hip modern restaurant bar. We are open to suggestions.if you have any. Also, if there are any MUST SEE sights that you think I've missed, please feel free let me know.

Thanks again, for your input. It's very helpful.

Shelley
Old May 8th, 2018, 11:44 AM

We have enjoyed walking the trails in/on the Monchsberg and taking in the views of Salzburg from several points. You can take the Monchsberg lift up from the Museum der Moderne.

https://www.salzburg.info/en/salzbur...rg/moenchsberg

One of the surprising things in Salzburg was noticing brass plates in the pavement here and there commemorating Jews rounded up by the Nazis. Similar to this:

https://www.npr.org/2012/05/31/15394...o-nazi-victims
Old May 9th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jean - Unfortunately, walking/hiking/biking (jogging etc...) just got removed from our plans as I broke my ankle yesterday. All of those activities were things we planned to do

Given the sights I listed that we want to see, which hotel (Hotel Am Dom or Villa Auesperg) is best located?

Shelley
Old May 9th, 2018, 01:39 PM

Have you plotted these sights on maps.google.com and checked the walking distances from each hotel and between sights? Besides showing the most direct walking routes, Google also shows elevation changes. The tourist area of Salzburg is generally but not totally flat. How do you plan to get around with a broken ankle?

In your situation, I'd rather be in the Am Dom location. It's closer to the castle and the St. Peter Church but farther from Mirabell.
Old May 9th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jean - thanks for the note back. We’ve not yet done google maps but had talked about doing that over the weekend when we have more time. I’ll grab the room at Am Dom as it’s the last one left. Thank you so much for all your input.

ps - in terms of getting around, I’ll be walking in a cast, as best I can and using a scooter otherwise.