Hotel in Prague

Oct 14th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Caroline

Hotel in Prague

Looking at the following hotels in Prague.
U Krale Karla and the Hotel U Pava owned by the same company and the Maximilian. Any advice?...leaning toward the U Krale Karla.
Thanks for the help.

Oct 14th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Caroline, too

My husband and I spent 5 nights at the U Pava in August, just before the floods, and LOVED it. We walked over to see the U Krale Karla and it also looks just great. Persoanlly, location of U Pava was absolutely ideal for us so would go there again. There are nice pictures of both hotels on the Small and Elegant Hotels website.Didn't check out the Maximillian, sorry.

Oct 14th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Annie

Do a search for the Maximilian Hotel. Christina posted a good report on it after her stay there. My husband and I have reservations for later this month.

Oct 14th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Christina

well, I have commented on the Maximilian a couple times so you can read those posts (and maybe you have), as that should be easy to search on that word. I just think that hotel is about perfect, I can't think of a single negative thing about it -- it's one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed at (okay, I don't routinely stay in deluxe hotels, or even 4-star ones). It's a small personal hotel in a renovated townhouse (about 50 rooms, probably) on a quiet square in the Josefov (Jewish Qtr) area. It was recently redone and has very large rooms for Europe, with beautiful Louis Philippe furniture, large modern bathrooms, minibar, satellite TV, excellent included buffet breakfast and very friendly and efficient staff, and a private driver available by appointment for airport/train pickups or deliveries at a reasonable cost. The bed is very comfortable, also, and I am picky about that (I hate hard or foam pillows).

There are several nice restaurants or takeouts and bakeries nearby and it's a short walk to the central Old Town Square or the Namesti Republicky metro stop or a tram or a major department store near it (which has excellent crystal and porcelain, and a cheap internet cafe). The Jules Verne French restaurant next door is pretty good (but not nearly as expensive as the one in Paris, thank goodness, more like about $25-30), as is the Chez Marcel more casual French bistro/cafe, and there's good cheap Italian restaurant around the corner, as well as several coffee houses/bars if you want that. I like the area because it's quiet and there are no tourist throngs around like there are around the Bridge and the central area just around it or Old Town square. I like going those places, but I don't want a hotel there. I'll be interested in how Annie likes it.

I don't know how it compares to those others because I haven't stayed in them, I think they are probably all good. The U Krale Karla may be in a more inconvenient spot, though, isn't it? I'm not sure, but I think it's way on top of the hill, so my only advice is to check on that.

Oct 14th, 2002, 08:18 PM
BillJ

Here's another vote for U Pava. Location was absolutely perfect. One block away was the tram (#22 I beleive) to ride up to Prague Castle, then walk down Nerudova street, ending up at the Charles Bridge, only a block away. We ate 4 straight nights on that side of the river, including Kampa Park, which I believe is re-opening soon. We had their deluxe room, which had 3 windows with views of Prague Castle. The room was large, comfortable, and the bathroom was very nice. We were there in late June. The breakfast was excellent, we did not eat their evening meal.

Oct 14th, 2002, 10:14 PM
Caroline

Thank you all for the input. Yes, I checkec the U Krala is on the hill. Is it a big climb?
Again, I appreciate each of you taking the time to answer.
Caroline

Oct 15th, 2002, 04:14 AM
ian

Have a look at the '3 ostriches'. It's literaly 3 yards from the Charles bridge, so you can get up in the morning and walk across and be the only one on it. The crowds start arriving at 10. Very old, very wierd, we enjoyed it.

Oct 15th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Christina

I looked at my map and the U Krale Karla isn't quite at the top of the hill as I remembered (near the Savoy and the Loretta Chapel), it's down on Neurodova street a bit, but it's still on the hill and around the entrance of the palace level. Nerudova street is interesting, lots of shops and restaurants, but that may actually be a worse spot because there is no public transportation around there at all. I like to be within a few blocks of a metro/tram stop. At least the Savoy is on the 22 tram line (which isn't that convenient). The Krale Karla isn't near any tram line or metro stop. The closest metro stop is probably Malastranska but that's pretty far. There is a tram line (several lines, some that go across the river) down at the bottom around St Nicholas church, running along Karmelitska, ususally. When I was there in May, that street was all torn up from construction and no trams were running along it, however. I forget how long that was supposed to last, it may be over by now.

I think it would be okay if you just wanted to stay around your hotel at night, and I guess it's not terribly far down to the tram lines (it's farther than the Maximilian to the Municipal House/Nam. Republicy metro which didn't bother me and was about 4 blocks) -- probably about 6 blocks, I guess. It is a big hill.

Well, I'll be honest, I wouldn't stay there probably because of the location and transportation issues. But people have a lot different taste on these issues, as well as staying in very central areas with a lot of crowds (eg, I would never stay right near the bridge on the Old Town side, but others like it).

I would try to find out from someone who stayed there if they felt the location inconvenient, and what transportation they used. If those tram lines on Karmelitska are still shut down, I really wouldn't stay there. Sometimes things that don't seem sso bad begin to bother you on a trip after days of hiking to/from a metro stop or something, especially when you are walking around a lot all day anyway. It is a cute shopping street, and will be convenient for the castle and Loretto Palace. The U Pava is right near the metro, however, and tram lines.

Oct 16th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Caroline

Thanks Christina, Caroline, Anne, Bill and Ian (Hope I didn't miss anyone!) Your input has been extremely helpful! I leave Saturday!!!

Oct 16th, 2002, 06:51 AM
ajs

Caroline,

My wife and I were there in July, two weeks before the floods. First of all, you're right about anything up on the hill, wouldn't even consider it.
We loved the Metamorphis. While it is as close to the square as you can get, it is in it's own little courtyard, the Ungelt. Great staff, great restaurant in a beautiful romanesque cellar, and the suites are almost too big. Not super close to transportation, but we found we spent most of our time in Old Town. Check it out, suggest Suite 21. Anything starting with 3 will be up two flights of stairs. The view at night out your window of the spires of Tyn Church will always be with you.

Oct 29th, 2003, 01:14 PM

Christina, we just returned from a (too) short weekend in Prague and stayed at the Maximilian on your advice. It was lovely, i thought your advice very accurate especially that about wanting to visit Old Town Square but not to stay in it. The area was lovely and quiet with a lovely quaint Czech restaurant in the nearby square.
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:52 PM

Hi, Anna. I'm glad you had a nice time and enjoyed the hotel and area. I think someone recently posted a report who stayed at the Maximilian and didn't like it--I think the reason was they thought the staff wouldn't do things for them or something, I forget. I never had that problem and I have asked for a little help there from the front desk (help booking the private car, help when my luggage was delayed by the airline, etc) although I don't usually make many special requests.

I never ate at the Czech restaurant in that square, I've eaten in the French ones and the Italian place around corner and found some others closer to Old Town Sq I liked a lot. Is that square fully cleaned up from the flood now? I know that old church in front of the hotel has always kind of been falling apart, too bad it's not that scenic.
Oct 29th, 2003, 02:11 PM

Was in Prague recently and checked out a few hotels.....Maximilian was one. We all have different tastes (thank goodness), but this hotel certainly did not appeal to me. The street was under construction and was a total mess. The lobby was dinky and a bit dark and dingy for my taste. I did not see any of rooms, and I certainly did not care for the neighborhood.

Search this Thread